Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Does netflix charge more for BluRay rental?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Does netflix charge more for BluRay rental? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I remember reading about it as a rumor and then I checked the website and I couldn't find the information. I want to go back to netflix because they are about 2 days faster than blockbusteronline.
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't say that it's more, I also wonder if you can get Blu-ray exclusively. I have no interest in SD-DVD disks, I haven't watched one in a year.

There is a Blockbuster I pass by to & from work so the instore swap out has some appeal to me.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the instore swap out is more expensive than netflix.

No input? Anyone here using Netflix with BR as their priority format?
dc_pilgrim

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Netflix announced earlier this year that they were considering (planning?) to charge more in the fall of 2008. No details about the nature of the pricing yet. You can always cancel . . .
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:

$3 more per month....Is that going to break anyone here?

Blockbuster is Unlimited through the mail 5 free in-store exchanges per calendar month for $19.99. I'm going to stop by the local store to see how good the Blu-ray stock is before signing up.

We do have a local NetFlix warehouse so I understand the turnaround is quick, I wonder if BR comes out of the same place though.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local BB doesn't have much of a BR selection as far as new releases are concerned. What new releases they do have are hard to get because they don't stock many copies (maybe 4). If you like older releases, the selection's not bad. Not good, but not bad.

Getting on-line BR has been a problem too. I had 2 BR movies in my queue for over 6 months. I finally gave up and deleted them. But that may be because I still rent SD DVDs, and have a ton of them in my queue. If you have a lot of movies in your queue like I do, BB always send whatever is least in demand. If you only had BR in your queue, they probably would have no choice but to send them to you (they've got to send you something). I would try that, but there's a lot of DVDs I want to see that aren't offered in HD.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
greg_mitch wrote:

$3 more per month....Is that going to break anyone here?

Blockbuster is Unlimited through the mail 5 free in-store exchanges per calendar month for $19.99. I'm going to stop by the local store to see how good the Blu-ray stock is before signing up.

We do have a local NetFlix warehouse so I understand the turnaround is quick, I wonder if BR comes out of the same place though.

Mike

In the big picture $20 is that much I agree. I guess it is just the value oriented mindset I have. I don't see why I would pay more just to be able to get a movie at BB 5 times a month, when I can usually get 4 movies a week through netflix for cheaper (unless they are going to charge more).
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

I have Netflix. Currently, they do not charge anything additional for HD or BD - never have. As DC Pilgrim mentioned, they will be raising prices in the fall. FYI, shipping was extremely fast. Then, on June 16, I got this note from them:
Quote:
Dear Steven,

Due to the recent flooding in Cedar Rapids and adjoining areas, we are temporarily shipping your DVDs from Kansas City. This change means that your DVDs might take an extra day to arrive. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you are not receiving mail due to flooding in your area and would like to put your account on temporary shipping hold, or if you have any questions, please call us at 1 (888) 638-3549.

-The Netflix Team

They're right - it takes an extra day. Before, I could drop a disc in the mail on Wednesday, I'd get an email on Thursday AM that they'd received it and were mailing the next one out, and I'd have the next one in Friday's mail. Now, it takes an extra day before I even get the email. Maybe because the disc I'm returning actually goes in the mail. I've heard Netflix has a deal with the USPS where they pick up the discs from the USPS themselves. Perhaps that's not happening now that my discs are going to KCMO, whereas it was when it was going to CR. Who knows?

I have two movies to watch and then I'm going to suspend our service for a month or two. I've only been able to watch 3, maybe 4 movies in over a month. Summer is great, but it sucks for watching movies - we're so damn busy.

I wasn't too happy with Netflix when they killed HD DVD, but I'm very happy with the service otherwise.

Interesting Netflix HD side note... Whatever that polymer coating is that they had to put on BD's to make them more durable - it friggin' works. That, or nobody rents BD's. Practically every HD DVD I got from Netflix had scratches and abrasion, and would skip in my XA1. OTOH, every BD comes out of the envelope looking like its brand new. Interesting, eh?

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil for the Blockbuster info!

So the way it works if you only want to get BD just put only those in the queue?

I stopped by Blockbuster today after work, their selection of BD was decent not great. Most new releases were in stock except for 10KBC. I asked the clerk what they rent BDs for without an online membership and he said $4.95+tax for 2 day rental. I politely said thank you and returned it to the shelf. Two day rentals sucks really bad for a weekend, it means if I pick it up Friday evening after work then take it back Sunday night, that won't work since I'm on my new mission to save fuel because the store is about 7 miles from home. There is something I like about having some control over what you watch over a weekend that makes me not sure I would like NetFlix.

I been buying 2-3 disks a week and some of the stuff its unlikely I will watch more then once, so I'm looking at other options. I do find I use my theater way more then I did with SD-DVD and I spend much less time tinkering with the system. I let it warm up for 10-15 minutes and go.

That's interesting about the superduper coating on BD.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will wait it out until I see if they increase the charge. I don't feel like supporting netflix at this time. They have made a few poor decisions in my eyes that does NOT support my hobby.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

You can always can Netflix if or when they raise the price. I'm sure there will be advance warning.

Another thing... I've rented 8 or 10 BD's from Blockbuster in the store. I happily pay the $4.95+tax. The 2-day thing, though... that's the "official" rental period... But, BB doesn't have late fees anymore - which is the main reason I went back to BB after not having been in one in almost 10 years. The late fees used to PISS me off. I hated how keeping it for 1 hour too long cost you as much or more than the 2-3 day rental in the first place.

Anyway, I think the way it works now is, 2 days after your rental period (or 7 days for old releases), they just charge your card for the retail price - $35 or $40 or something for BD's, less the rental fee. But, they have a 30-day grace period, so if you don't really want it, you can return less a restocking fee.

So, if you wanted to keep every one of your 2-day rentals for 3 or 4 days, there's nothing stopping you. I've done it almost every time. Double-check it with your store, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works now. Instead of the old "BE KIND, PLEASE REWIND" stickers like they used to have on VHS tapes, they have stickers on some of the cases now that say, "BE KIND, PLEASE RETURN ON TIME". FYI.

I do both Netflix and in-store rental when we're watching more movies. Netflix for convenience to have a movie or two always sitting there ready to watch, and BB in-store for when decide on Thursday night to have people over Friday night and want a new release.

SC
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
Thanks Phil for the Blockbuster info!

So the way it works if you only want to get BD just put only those in the queue?

Mike, people were complaining on AVS about not getting the latest movies. Like I mentioned, BB will send you the DVDs in your queue that are in least demand. That means if you have a bunch of movies in you queue, they'll rarely send you new releases, because they're in high demand. Some guy figured that if he reduced his queue to 3 movies, BB would send him those 3 movies. It makes sense. They can't just not send you anything. You are paying them for a service.

So if that works, having only BR in your queue should also work. BB isn't going to send you a SD movie that's not in your queue, and they've got to send you something, so by default you should get only BRs.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about BB online, but with Netflix, you simply select which format of each movie you want. If you select "300" as your movie, you have your choice between BD or DVD (and at one time HD DVD). You can set in your account prefs to default to, for instance BD if the movie exists on that format. Then, when you add it to your queue, it automatically goes in as BD. You can also manually reselect DVD, for instance if you were taking something in the car for kids to watch or something.

SC
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what my queue looks like. You can see the little pull-down menus in the "disc format" column.

You can also see that "There Will Be Blood" is laying down in the theater and that "Next" will be here tomorrow. Wink

SC

netflix.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.06 KB
 Viewed:  10050 Time(s)

netflix.gif

greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
I don't know about BB online, but with Netflix, you simply select which format of each movie you want. If you select "300" as your movie, you have your choice between BD or DVD (and at one time HD DVD). You can set in your account prefs to default to, for instance BD if the movie exists on that format. Then, when you add it to your queue, it automatically goes in as BD. You can also manually reselect DVD, for instance if you were taking something in the car for kids to watch or something.

SC

Same thing with BB online. You set your preference. But if you have any movie in there that is on SD it is likely you will get it first...but hasn't happened everytime.

Just got two BR's from my queue yesterday.

I like to think that the netflix instant viewing is a nice thing, but I could never find anything worth watching.

All of the TV shows I wanted to watch, I could watch in HD from the appropriate TV website.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's so much to watch in HD now that I can't keep up with... I practically never watch SD discs anymore. In fact, one of the few I really wanted to see was only available in SD and was planning to watch it that way. But then, before I could get around to watching it, it came out on BD!

I know I miss a few movies skipping SD releases, but I figure by the time I get around to watching it, I'll be able to watch it in HD. Wink

SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: