Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Wow, look at the graphic card wars!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Wow, look at the graphic card wars! Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
It looks like AMD/ATI is throwing down the gauntlet with the 4850 and 4870. Nvidia has responded by lowering their prices and introducing a new card. They also introduced their high end 260 and 280 cards, which are way to expensive for my blood even if I was rich. I haven't read about any new video functionality yet. The ATI cards give 8 channel audio over HDMI now. Anybody ready to stumble up to the bar and purchase one of these new cards? Laughing
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stuble along on last years ( or two years ) ago offerings thanks. I've had it with the upgrade wave. I don't need to spend $1000 on a video card to make my games 12FPS faster Laughing My box plays the games fine and can do HD-DVD and bluray at 1080P. What more do you need?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just **amazes** me how much the PC and graphics-card industry is driven by a bunch of fraggers looking for a few more FPS. Who knew people would spend that much on video games!??
Axatax

TV/Projector: Sony VPH-G70Q (aka Barco Cine8 Onyx)

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Who knew people would spend that much on video games!??

Different people have different hobbies/priorities. There are probably (most definitely) some people who could claim that spending money on a PJ or HT is excessive. Different strokes.
papalek

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axatax wrote:
Quote:

Different people have different hobbies/priorities. There are probably (most definitely) some people who could claim that spending money on a PJ or HT is excessive. Different strokes.

My brother is one of them. He watches almost all his DVDs on a 32" TV. And he just can not understand how I can spend so much money just to watch a movie. He says I am stupid and could have a nicer motorcycle and truck like his if I would quit wasting my money on that projector garbage..I just tell him that is what I want to spend it on and he just shakes his head.

View user's photo album (24 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, for someone's who's a rabid gamer and spends most of their free time playing games, spending a grand or two every year on PC upgrades (total) is actually a pretty damned cheap hobby.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not judging whether they're right or wrong in how they spend their money. I'm just amazed that gamers are such a driving force for that whole marketplace. I wouldn't have anticipated that.
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
I'll stuble along on last years ( or two years ) ago offerings thanks. I've had it with the upgrade wave. I don't need to spend $1000 on a video card to make my games 12FPS faster Laughing My box plays the games fine and can do HD-DVD and bluray at 1080P. What more do you need?

Believe it or not, the 4870 is only $299 wich really suprises me. AMD is going for the throat on this one..........

Cliff
Phil Smith

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow, look at the graphic card wars! Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
The ATI cards give 8 channel audio over HDMI now.

I think this is a big part of why Eric started this thread. That seems pretty cool to me! If you have a receiver/preamp that's HDMI switching and can capture the HDMI audio feed, one of those cards would be very nice.

The one thing that isn't nice is having to buy a power hungry, hot running with noisy fans gaming card to get these kinds of features. I sure wish someone would make a card with HTPC solely in mind. I doubt that will ever happen, but it sure would be nice.
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow, look at the graphic card wars! Reply with quote

overclkr wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

Believe it or not, the 4870 is only $299 wich really suprises me. AMD is going for the throat on this one..........

Cliff

And the 4850 is $199 and has been seen for around $170.

Phil Smith wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:
The ATI cards give 8 channel audio over HDMI now.

I think this is a big part of why Eric started this thread. That seems pretty cool to me! If you have a receiver/preamp that's HDMI switching and can capture the HDMI audio feed, one of those cards would be very nice.

The one thing that isn't nice is having to buy a power hungry, hot running with noisy fans gaming card to get these kinds of features. I sure wish someone would make a card with HTPC solely in mind. I doubt that will ever happen, but it sure would be nice.

That was one reason. I was also hoping someone would find out if there was any new HTPC functionality. Well, I found it. The ATI has the new UVD 2.0. You can read about it here.
Also, it is amazing how much power you can now get for less than $200. Even for the gamer, the 4850 will run just about every game outside of Crysis just fine. I agree about the power and fan issue. I think Arctic Cooling makes some good aftermarket fans, though.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

overclkr wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

Cliff

I always get upgrade regret. If I had only waited 6 months...aww that's ok.

It's a great price though $299 wow.

I paid $850 for my GeForce 4800 VIVO 128meg card back in 2002 and $650 for 512megs of ram. That was my upgrade for the next 6 months.

From 1999 to 2003 I think I spent about $21 000 in computer/gaming stuff.

From 2003 to 2008 I think I've spent about $21 000 in car stuff. Priorities change.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papalek wrote:
Axatax wrote:
Quote:

My brother is one of them. He watches almost all his DVDs on a 32" TV. And he just can not understand how I can spend so much money just to watch a movie. He says I am stupid and could have a nicer motorcycle and truck like his if I would quit wasting my money on that projector garbage..I just tell him that is what I want to spend it on and he just shakes his head.

Yeah with some people they don't get it. The old guy that owns the neighbourhood garage always shakes his head at whatever I'm driving. He looks at the blue sparkplug wires and says "There's a waste of money" Then I tell him they were half the price of the stock one's and I picked up 2HP and 1MPG with them. Then he says' "Bah" waves his hand and walks away.

Some people just don't get it, can't get it, you can't give it to them, couldn't find it with a map, compass, GPS and a magnifying glass. Laughing For those I just nod and smile Very Happy

CRT.

HD done right!
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow, look at the graphic card wars! Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
I think Arctic Cooling makes some good aftermarket fans, though.

I've had bad luck with two different AC GPU coolers.

The Zalman products work well for me.
View user's photo album (33 photos)
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
overclkr wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

Cliff

I always get upgrade regret. If I had only waited 6 months...aww that's ok.

It's a great price though $299 wow.

I paid $850 for my GeForce 4800 VIVO 128meg card back in 2002 and $650 for 512megs of ram. That was my upgrade for the next 6 months.

From 1999 to 2003 I think I spent about $21 000 in computer/gaming stuff.

From 2003 to 2008 I think I've spent about $21 000 in car stuff. Priorities change.

Yeah, pretty damn amazing when you think about it. A card that has some really AWESOME features and in gaming reaches and even surpasses the Nvidia GTX280 at WAY WAY WAY less of a price. The difference is actually staggering if you ask me.

Nvidia is gonna get hit hard on this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=GTX+280

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=HD4870

Cliff
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another cool thing about the ATI cards (at least the 4850) is that it is already on the shelves. I was at Frys today and they had a couple of them on the shelf. I don't really like to go over there, but I guess I will go check AVS and see if anyone is using one yet.

I don't think Nvidia is going to get hit that bad. They have lowered the prices on some cards and introduced a new card. It is kind of a kick in the teeth that the 4870 is better than the 260 at a lower price. I am kind of happy for AMD. They needed some good products to compete in the market. The last thing I wanted to see was for them to go belly up and see Intel alone.
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zzzzzzzzzz

Last edited by overclkr on Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:44 am; edited 1 time in total
overclkr

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanky Ham wrote:
The last thing I wanted to see was for them to go belly up and see Intel alone.

It will NEVER happen. AMD and Intel have been in bed way too long together and learned so much.

Intel just happens to have the upper hand in $$$$

AMD isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Oh, and the 260, um well, I was talking about the 280. Very Happy

AMD is holding well against it at half the price. HALF THE PRICE.

DAMN!!!!!

Cliffy[/quote]
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

overclkr wrote:
Spanky Ham wrote:
The last thing I wanted to see was for them to go belly up and see Intel alone.

It will NEVER happen. AMD and Intel have been in bed way too long together and learned so much.

Intel just happens to have the upper hand in $$$$

AMD isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Oh, and the 260, um well, I was talking about the 280. Very Happy

AMD is holding well against it at half the price. HALF THE PRICE.

DAMN!!!!!

Cliffy

Why the odd ball naming convention from Nvidia? I figured they go to a 10 000 named card.

CRT.

HD done right!
Spanky Ham

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Nvidia is going to be lowering prices on the 260 and 280. It seems like a couple of manufacturers almost went belly up because of the pricing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: