Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Philips 37" PF9946 & HDFury problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Crescendo-Systems Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hanman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Philips 37" PF9946 & HDFury problem Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi,

i am hoping somebody on this forum can assist as i am getting no response on the HDFury forum..

In my haste to get a better resolution on my plasma TV for my PS3 i recently purchased a HDFury cable. However, i have now learnt that my plasma VGA input is not quite able to display a 720 or 1080 HD signal. My findings show that it is capable of displaying XGA (1024x768) or WXGA(1280x768) resolution, which would be a great improvement on my current 480 resolution. However, the tv cannot downscale to 720.

Will the RCT2200 product allow a 720/1080 HDMI feed from the PS3 into the RCT220 via the HDFury Gamer edition cable and then into my VGA port on the Plasma at a XGA/WXGA resolution?

thanks
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, can your TV accept 1080i via the component input? If so then it's not the RTC2200 you want it's the TC1600. The HDFury doesn't scale the signal, nor does the RTC2200. Try 1080i and 720P via component and see if you get a picture on your TV.

CRT.

HD done right!

Last edited by AnalogRocks on Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (27 photos)
hanman

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Manual Reply with quote

I've searched the online manual (http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/3/37pf9946_12/37pf9946_12_dfu_eng.pdf) for this tv BUT i can't find anything about the resolution it can show via the component connections.

Is there a device out there that can take a HD feed and allow you to output a VGA resolution of your choice? In my case, take in a 720/1080 signal from the PS3 and output via VGA to WXGA resolution?
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to your tv's manual it will support the following:

DVI: 480p@60hz,1080i, 800x600@56hz and 1024x768@60hz.

also it will only support single digital link DVI cable.

Component: 480p or 1080i
hanman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your response macgyver655..
I'm confused as i only have a VGA port not a DVI port.
Also you stated "it will only support single digital link DVI cable", please could you expand on what you mean by this.

How did you work out that the component is 480p or 1080i Exclamation Exclamation There's nothing in the manual that states this.
hanman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this..
"
What is the difference between Single Link and Dual Link DVI ?
DVI Single link supports resolutions up to 1920x1080 at 60 Hz and has a maximum bandwidth of 165 Mhz.
DVI Dual link supports resolutions up to 2048 x 1536 at 60 Hz and has a maximum bandwidth of 165 Mhz.

So even a single link DVI cable will support a 1080p signal at 60 frames per second (148.5 Mhz). Dual link is really only required for very high resolution graphics applications but in practice there are more dual link cables on the market than single link. There is no problem using dual link cable in an application where only single link is required.
"

But like i mentioned before, my plasma tv does not have a DVI port. It only has a regular VGA port.

Hmmm..
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. After I looked into this a little further I now see how horrible Philips manuals are. Manuals sometimes cover different models. In your case the first 2 letter's (37) is the size and the rest is the model. So on the manual you posted, on page 1 you see that 3 models are covered in that manual. Many times manufactors only list the smaller model in there search, in this case would be the 30PF9946. Under that number Philips list the folowing manual which is a little more in debth :

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/3/30pf9946d_37/30pf9946d_37_dfu_aen.pdf

As you can see on pages 1 and 16, your model is listed. Further reading shows various connections and info, however the manual is not indicating which sections are for which models, and they are different.

The manual you posted also states it is for use in the UK. Are you in the UK? Not really sure why its states that anyways.

Also 1 manual says your tv has component inputs and the other one doesnt. Does yours have them?

So the final solution is these manuals dont really give you a clear indication of just what your device is capable of. My opinion though is that the VGA port should be able to resolve 720p, but the only way to know for sure is to try.

If it was me I would hook up a PC or laptop to the VGA port, using dual monitor and send that tv various resolution's, keeping under 768, and see just what it locks onto.

Sorry, but thats the best I can think of. Good luck.
hanman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate your valuable insight. I am slowly piecing together what i need to do and how i need to get there.

I will try the dual display option as the next logical step as this is something i should have done first BEFORE spending money on the HDFury cable Rolling Eyes

thanks again Thumbs Up
macgyver655

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanman wrote:
Just found this..
"
What is the difference between Single Link and Dual Link DVI ?
DVI Single link supports resolutions up to 1920x1080 at 60 Hz and has a maximum bandwidth of 165 Mhz.
DVI Dual link supports resolutions up to 2048 x 1536 at 60 Hz and has a maximum bandwidth of 165 Mhz.

So even a single link DVI cable will support a 1080p signal at 60 frames per second (148.5 Mhz). Dual link is really only required for very high resolution graphics applications but in practice there are more dual link cables on the market than single link. There is no problem using dual link cable in an application where only single link is required.
"

But like i mentioned before, my plasma tv does not have a DVI port. It only has a regular VGA port.

Hmmm..

Not that it applies but just to answer your question for future reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

a
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanman wrote:
I really appreciate your valuable insight. I am slowly piecing together what i need to do and how i need to get there.

I will try the dual display option as the next logical step as this is something i should have done first BEFORE spending money on the HDFury cable Rolling Eyes

thanks again Thumbs Up

You didn't tell us. Does your TV have the component inputs?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
hanman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check when i get home.
hanman

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No components on this tv.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Crescendo-Systems Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: