Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Observe, and weep:

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Observe, and weep: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
PeriSoft's HT audio flowchart.

Total est. clean RMS wattage: 850

Acquisition cost, last 12 months: $200
Acquisition cost, including HTPC, total: $450

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow now that's thrifty. Damed funny too

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
drice1234

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you can heat your house with all of that equipment.
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave will love the "Piracy Machine" comment. Wink

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
papalek

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drice1234 wrote:
And you can heat your house with all of that equipment.

I doubt that he has that much of a heat issue.

But I know I sure put off quite a bit.

2-Carver TFM15
3-Carver TFM35
2-Carver PM1.5
2-Crown CSL1400

It gets rather warm behind the curtain when the movie is rockin. Mr. Green Thumbs Up

View user's photo album (24 photos)
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonne have all that stuff jammed into a closet as wide as a rack and only 2.5x as deep, so I've gotta be careful with heat. Planning on putting a big sucker on top and a vent to under the floor on the bottom to try to keep stuff cool.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are using 4 receivers?! Surely there is a better way?

Hopefully you aren't buying these and are just scrapping a system together with left over parts! Razz
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
So you are using 4 receivers?! Surely there is a better way?

Hopefully you aren't buying these and are just scrapping a system together with left over parts! Razz

The only one I bought was the technics for the mains, and that was about six years ago or so. OK, technically I bought the Onkyo, but it was 30 bucks at the Salvation Army.

One main issue is that I'm driving the fronts at 4ohms, and the amp won't do 5 channel output set up that way.

I could use the technics for all five channels, and sacrifice quality / power on the mains, but I'd have to use the optical input (no RCA digital) which would mean a $40 optical cable and a new sound card. As you may be able to guess, that expenditure would be difficult for me. Smile

This way I have some level of control over bass/treble for the center/surround, and in particular I have 16-band stereo EQ on the mains, separate from the rest.

If AC3 filter had parametric EQ per-channel there'd be less reason to do this, but there's also no guarantee that I'll have that option with a BR player when the time comes - and there's still the issue of the low impedance output for the mains.

I might be wrong about some of this stuff, though, so I'd welcome corrections and information if that's the case!

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peri,

Do you have any pictures of the rack that you'll be using to house the recievers, I'm doing something similar however I'm only using three recievers.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebu Fellenz wrote:
Peri,

Do you have any pictures of the rack that you'll be using to house the recievers, I'm doing something similar however I'm only using three recievers.

In true PeriSoft style, I'm doing it the nutter way. In this case, that means two of those vertical closet shelf rails - with the little vertical slats, that you hook shelfy-holder things to. All I'm doing is putting the holders on them and putting the kit right on the holders; no actual shelves. They can't go side to side because their feet match up with the width of the shelf holders (and because the closet is only a couple inches wider than the gear) and can't move forward because of the little lip on the front of the shelf holders.

I figure that the less solid surfaces, the more airflow; I haven't got each thing jammed in a little box. It also looks cool, because the shelf things are black, and the whole closet has black fabric, so it looks like the components are just hovering there. Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optical cables don't cost $40...more like $3.27! http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=1419&seq=1&format=2.

I still think it would be easier to just sell all of this stuff and buy one decent receiver, but this might look cooler. I don't even want to see a remote table for all of this stuff...or even better, the macros to control all of this with one remote!

Go for it!
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg_mitch wrote:
Optical cables don't cost $40...more like $3.27! http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=1419&seq=1&format=2.

I still think it would be easier to just sell all of this stuff and buy one decent receiver, but this might look cooler. I don't even want to see a remote table for all of this stuff...or even better, the macros to control all of this with one remote!

Go for it!

I stand corrected on the cable... Smile but, even if I sold all of those, I'd only make about 150, and 140 of that from the technics! Smile the others are ancient. And of course no remotes - that's why I need the pirac... Htpc. Smile

Still haven't worked out a dirt cheap remote control system for it, though. Not line of sight.
aspec2

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a large thread on the A site about using an HTPC for audio. I thought about using several mono blocks controlled by the HTPC as a preamp/receiver. It can ALL be controlled with one remote.

Walt
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspec2 wrote:
There was a large thread on the A site about using an HTPC for audio. I thought about using several mono blocks controlled by the HTPC as a preamp/receiver. It can ALL be controlled with one remote.

Walt

I actually tried that once. I have 3 Marantz Ma-700's and 2 MA-500's. The bigest problem I had was on start up. The damned audio would tick and pop and make the speakers overload. Too loud. It was a good plan. I wonder if there's a card for the PC that doesn't do that when it's driver get's loaded in wondows?

CRT.

HD done right!
nettwerkjohn

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats windoze?
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Angus_rg

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
The bigest problem I had was on start up. The damned audio would tick and pop and make the speakers overload. Too loud. It was a good plan. I wonder if there's a card for the PC that doesn't do that when it's driver get's loaded in wondows?

Did the trickle and pop happen when the lame MS bootup music came on? You can go into your sound menu and disable that.

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus_rg wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:
The bigest problem I had was on start up. The damned audio would tick and pop and make the speakers overload. Too loud. It was a good plan. I wonder if there's a card for the PC that doesn't do that when it's driver get's loaded in wondows?

Did the trickle and pop happen when the lame MS bootup music came on? You can go into your sound menu and disable that.

Nope that was disabled. It was probably when Winblows loads the sound driver.

CRT.

HD done right!
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't plan on turning the HTPC off, so not a big issue there. I didn't notice the problem anyway when I -did- have to power cycle with the amps on.

The one thing I really severely dislike is that AC3filter won't do per-channel EQ. I could get the system near-perfect with that, but for some reason it's not in there, just overall EQ. I can adjust bass/treble with each amp, and I have hardware 16-channel EQ for the mains, but nothing real for each channel. Surrounds don't matter too much but it'd be nice to have something more for the center.

I might use the HW EQ for the center, now that I think about it. Adjust the mains with EQ in software (which will also adjust everything else)... then tweak the center with the hardware equalizer and do a rough adjust on the surrounds with bass/treble on their amp. Not much more than that necessary anyway.

With just the Technics amp I couldn't do that, and since I have mismatched speakers (well, mains vs. center & surrounds) it would be a disaster...

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:

Nope that was disabled. It was probably when Winblows loads the sound driver.

Hmmm.... Probably the only thing you can do is update the drivers and or delay powering the speakers on after it boots.

You could try reseating the sound card. I'd also use some canned air to make sure the slot is clean. It's a real long shot, but its worth a try if you haven't already.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: