Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HDMI TO RGB ANALOG VS. DIGITAL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROFLmaker

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: HDMI TO RGB ANALOG VS. DIGITAL Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Ok I essentially have a 42" old Sony "Monitor" (2 comp inputs(labled RGB/YUV), 2 audio headphone input, a 3.5mm audio output , an S-video, and a cable input). its HD. Is RGB digital because I didn't think it was but I was told other-wise at Best Buy and yea...If it is is there a way to get that signal to the monitor in a still digital format?
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgb is analog. you need a D/A converter.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: HDMI TO RGB ANALOG VS. DIGITAL Reply with quote

ROFLmaker wrote:
and a cable input

What does this mean? What kind of connector? Are you talking about a coax connector labeled "cable"?

ROFLmaker wrote:
Is RGB digital because I didn't think it was but I was told other-wise at Best Buy and yea...If it is is there a way to get that signal to the monitor in a still digital format?

First, are your two component inputs that are labeled "RGB/YUV" both labeled that way or one "RGB" and the other "YUV".

Almost nothing labeled YUV is actually YUV. This is old mislabeled stuff. YUV labeled inputs are almost always YPrPb--or what is usually called component.

YPrPb and RGB are different things. So, your monitor may do either YPrPb or RGB on the port (but there would need to be a setting to tell him what you are giving it).

All of our digital consumer devices can be:
RGB 4:4:4
YCrCb 4:4:4
YCrCb 4:2:2

YCrCb is the digital form of YPrPb. Digital RGB is just like analog RGB but instead of using voltages it uses bits.

If it has no digital input, you can put digital into it without converting. Since every source has component output and your display seems to have component input, why do you want to put digital into it? (The answer to this will let me tell you what to do.)

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
ROFLmaker

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The i guess its miss labeled. Unfortunately that is my problem, its not a TV its monitor. Thus, it only has 2 RBG inputs and an S-Video. No composite, or anything Thus Im not sure what to do...
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLEASE do some google searching. If you search "RGBHV" the VERY first link that comes up has a section labeled "RGB analog component video"...read up!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: HDMI TO RGB ANALOG VS. DIGITAL Reply with quote

ROFLmaker wrote:
Ok I essentially have a 42" old Sony "Monitor" (2 comp inputs(labled RGB/YUV), 2 audio headphone input, a 3.5mm audio output , an S-video, and a cable input). its HD. Is RGB digital because I didn't think it was but I was told other-wise at Best Buy and yea...If it is is there a way to get that signal to the monitor in a still digital format?

Give us the model number. We'll look up the manual and recommend based on that.

I'm guessing HDFury and BOX1020 RGBHV to Component converter IF you need to do digital.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
ROFLmaker

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony 42" TV Plasma Pro Flat Panel Monitor - PFM42B2H 1024 x 1024 Pixel Resolution \
and the only reason I am requesting to stay digital is because I heard it was higher quality
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFLmaker wrote:
Sony 42" TV Plasma Pro Flat Panel Monitor - PFM42B2H 1024 x 1024 Pixel Resolution \
and the only reason I am requesting to stay digital is because I heard it was higher quality

A quick google search of the model reveals the following inputs:

S-video, Composite, 2 RGB and 2 YUV inputs

You have two sensible options for high definition from a cable box:

1) Component out to component in on your TV...the simplest, no conversions required

2) HDMI/DVI out to a HD Fury or similar...but quite honestly whatever comes out of a satellite box that passes for HD won't be degraded by a component video run...I vote for #1.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep if it's a cable box that has component wire up the 5 wire's (3 video, 2 audio) and watch away.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRT_Ben wrote:
ROFLmaker wrote:

A quick google search of the model reveals the following inputs:

S-video, Composite, 2 RGB and 2 YUV inputs

You have two sensible options for high definition from a cable box:

1) Component out to component in on your TV...the simplest, no conversions required

2) HDMI/DVI out to a HD Fury or similar...but quite honestly whatever comes out of a satellite box that passes for HD won't be degraded by a component video run...I vote for #1.

What he said.

The only thing I will add is the number 1 is free, but depending upon the quality of the DAC in your cable box, number 2 may yield *slightly* (i.e. you might not even be able to see) better performance.

Your monitor has no digital input. It is not possible for you to remain digital. So, the only think left is what DAC are you using. Do what Ben says.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
ROFLmaker

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: It has no component Reply with quote

It doesn't have component, only composite. Here is a picture to clarify everything. (P.s. excude the quality I took it with my laptop camera But it works so yea...) It is attached.

Side of tv.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.53 KB
 Viewed:  23360 Time(s)

Side of tv.jpg

CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: It has no component Reply with quote

ROFLmaker wrote:
It doesn't have component, only composite. Here is a picture to clarify everything. (P.s. excude the quality I took it with my laptop camera But it works so yea...) It is attached.

It does have component, it just takes it through the VGA plug instead of having the 3x RCA configuration you're probably used to. That means you need a 3xRCA->VGA cable, like so:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023503&p_id=2173&seq=1&format=2

Though if you're doing a run longer than 6-12 feet those RCA's look a little cheesy to me, so for long runs I would suggest this cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023501&p_id=2857&seq=1&format=2

paired with this cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023503&p_id=2409&seq=1&format=2

and also this cable for audio:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=666&seq=1&format=2

and that way, the smallish RCA cables are only run for 3ft, and you'll have less signal loss. Also, the long cable is 5xRCA, to carry the audio in the same run. Clean, simple, <$50 solution. Monoprice has lesser quality 5xRCA cables if you want to go that way, more like $10 instead of $30, but that's up to you.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: It has no component Reply with quote

ROFLmaker wrote:

Those two VGA connectors will take RGBHV or component. There should be some menu setting in your display to put Input 1 and Input 2 into "RGB" or "YUV" mode.

You will need a cable like this:
http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-video/video-cables/hdtv-projector-cables/vga-to-rgb-component/component-video-to-vga-cables-55-873-rca/prod55873RCA.html

The other option is to buy an HDFury and plug it into the input and configure it for RGB.

jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy the HDFury, be sure to buy the power supply with it. It will work much better with it.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkruger wrote:
If you buy the HDFury, be sure to buy the power supply with it. It will work much better with it.

I had no problem with an HD Fury with a 6' cable between source and Fury. With a plasma, he is likely to have a short cable.

jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine works fine on a 25 ft hdmi cable into a hdmi-dvi adapter into the fury with the 6" breakout cable into the pj. Both of the sources I'm using have lots of power output. I had a source to start with that had very little output and it would not function without the external supply. I may hook up another source in the future that doesn't have that much output, and then I'll be glad again that I bought it.
ROFLmaker

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to run it 5-6ft tops. Which of these will give me the Highest quality picture?
CRT_Ben

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFLmaker wrote:
I need to run it 5-6ft tops. Which of these will give me the Highest quality picture?

If that's the case, just go with this cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023503&p_id=2170&seq=1&format=2

Unbelievably cheap, and it'll do the job.
ROFLmaker

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks everyone for your help I'll post back how it looks but one last thing I want to verify: VGA and RGB are interchangeable I know that they are the same plug but they are cross compatible in terms of signal and such?
ROFLmaker

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also on web site it says:
"IT WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO CONNECT YOUR COMPONENT VIDEO SOURCES TO A REGULAR COMPUTER MONITOR OR HDTV unless you monitor specifically has this capability. Most do not. (Please check the documentation for your computer monitor)"
Will this still work for my pfm 42b2 Sony TV?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Video Processors, Converters, Switchers, Cables All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: