Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Need suggestions on ceiling mount

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaceTheAce

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Need suggestions on ceiling mount Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I am wanting to mount my projector onto the ceiling but the ceiling is vaulted. I have came up with the idea of mounting a 4x4 or some sort of unistrut in line with the bathroom door wall, as you can see in the photo below. I want to be able to take advantage of the strong wall joists at these locations. Some sort of mounting base made of unistrut at the end of the beam would have to be constructed to be able to bolt on the factory Sony PJ mount. For my preferred throw distance, the projector's back end needs to be flush with the most forward wall.

Now, I could mount the projector on the lower ceiling where the dome ceiling light is, but the screen would have to be moved over to the right accordingly and the screen wouldn't be horizontally centered in the room. Plus, the screen would have to be larger - something I don't really want in such a small room.

Any suggestions on how and where to mount it?

By the way, I am rearranging and reorganizing my room... which is why it appears I am such a slob! haha

View user's photo album (13 photos)
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will that fan be in the way?
JaceTheAce

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkruger wrote:
Will that fan be in the way?

Yes, it would be, which is why I'm removing it and putting up suspension/cable lighting. Smile
dropzone7

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there attic access above the ceiling there where that light is?

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dropzone7 wrote:

No attic access - that is one of my problems. This is a small 7 unit apartment complex and maybe there is a "secret" trap door from roof.
dropzone7

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaceTheAce wrote:
dropzone7 wrote:

No attic access - that is one of my problems. This is a small 7 unit apartment complex and maybe there is a "secret" trap door from roof.

Mmm...that's tough and it seems your luck is as good as mine as it figures that the best place for the projector would be right at a pass through for the rest of the place and against a wall in a corner. I would not consider using anything BUT unistrut in this case. It's going to be the strongest and most light weight material and will give you the most flexibility in mounting. Let me think about this a bit...

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dropzone7 wrote:
JaceTheAce wrote:
dropzone7 wrote:

Mmm...that's tough and it seems your luck is as good as mine as it figures that the best place for the projector would be right at a pass through for the rest of the place and against a wall in a corner. I would not consider using anything BUT unistrut in this case. It's going to be the strongest and most light weight material and will give you the most flexibility in mounting. Let me think about this a bit...

Thanks a lot for your help! I have a burning desire to get this thing mounted so that I no longer have to deal with bumping the floor-mounted PJ out of convergence. Razz
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking unistrut too, but finding a way to hang it from the rafters might be difficult. Dropzone, who's the cutie? Wife?
rabies_70

TV/Projector: Sony G70Q

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey bro I'm here in SanDiego too. Carlsbad, and I own a welding shop. I suggest a cantilever of steel to mount your pj where you want to. Give me a call if that is something you are interested in. I'll PM you my number.

I am an iconoclast
dropzone7

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkruger wrote:
I was thinking unistrut too, but finding a way to hang it from the rafters might be difficult. Dropzone, who's the cutie? Wife?

Yeah, that's my wife. She made fun of my Disney avatars so I told her I was going to use a picture of her instead. She is gonna punch me in the arm really hard if she sees it! She's cute but she physically abuses me. Laughing

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not qualify as abuse if you like it Twisted Evil

I am an iconoclast
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Ray might have the answer to your mounting problem.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkruger wrote:

You know when you skim these threads really fast like I do sometimes you see thing's differently. I read something along the likes of "Yes that's my wife, I think Ray can help you with your mounting problems. " Laughing

Then I go back and re-read thing's and it's a much different version.

That is a bad shot to have to hang your projector though. What about a 4x4 frame and attach the cantalever that Ray's talking about.

Can anyone illustrate that? I'm terible at drawing. ( that's why I became a photographer )

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
dropzone7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
jkruger wrote:

You know when you skim these threads really fast like I do sometimes you see thing's differently. I read something along the likes of "Yes that's my wife, I think Ray can help you with your mounting problems. " Laughing

Then I go back and re-read thing's and it's a much different version.

Yeah, you really have to read the whole story around here as we go off on tangents at the drop of a hat you know!

By the way, we don't have any mounting problems around here... Thumbs Up

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a quick sketch of what I was talking about. We can build it either flat if the ceiling height of the hall is the correct height or goose neck it to allow more height. It would bolt directly into the framing rafters and probably the header over the hall. The bracket to hold the mount will slice on the main tube then clamp in place with bolts. Paint this the same color as the wall or whatever your favorite color is and your done.

I am an iconoclast
dropzone7

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a simple yet effective solution. Jace, I would jump all over Ray's offer to help out on that if I were you. Assuming your connection at the joists is sound, the mount should be super strong and certainly outlive the projector.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not two struts cantilevered out like the one in you've depicted in your first post with a shelf on top? You can tie into two ceiling joists that way and you won't have to bump your head on the PJ. The height may not be completely optimal but it would seem a sensible compromise; it would also allow for a more simple beam design.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: