Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Odd/Interesting things that people here ordered from Amazon
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Odd/Interesting things that people here ordered from Amazon Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
For those that aren't aware, whenever you purchase from Amazon.com through links anywhere on this site such as Amazon ads or those in our Blu-ray Release List & Must-Have Titles, Blu-ray/DVD deals, and Greyscale & Colour Calibration for Dummies guide, a small percentage automatically goes to help support this site at no extra cost to you. (We thank you!)

Below are a few interesting/odd things from the last few months (hover over the images or links for more information/pricing).

It's important to mention that we don't see who orders what or even what they order together so purchases are 100% anonymous (as they should be). So if I mention names, I'm just poking fun at people... mostly Curt. Wink

Curt loves his dolls. He bought a whole set of different ones!

Bratz Birthday Cloe

Curt also loves to garden:

Crocs - Men's size 10

The book he uses to know what to plant in the garden:

McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container: Create Container Gardens of Vegetables, Herbs, Fruits, and Edible Flowers (Paperback)

I haven't played it yet, but it's supposed to be a great game:

Grand Theft Auto IV

You'll need this to play it. I love my PS3. Now someone else hopefully does to!

Playstation 3 40GB

Wow. Nice frickin' lens:

Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens

I have no idea what this album is like. Not sure I want to:

Sex Without Bodies (Audio Only) (1998)

Who's the aspiring documentary film maker?:

The Documentary Film Makers Handbook: A Guerilla Guide (Paperback)

Somebody obviously having problems sleeping:

Greek Word Roots: A Practical List With Greek and English Derivatives (Paperback)

People have bought nearly 100 copies of this setup disc over the last 3 months (90% Blu-ray). My 'Greyscale & colour calibration for dummies'guide probably had a little to do with that... Smile:

Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics [Blu-ray] (2008)

Not including the DVE HD Basics setup disc above, this is by far the most popular movie from my 'Must Have Blu-Ray Titles' list (about two dozen copies sold):

The Fifth Element (Remastered) [Blu-ray] (1997)

A close second (8 copies sold, 75% Blu-ray):

Planet Earth - The Complete BBC Series [Blu-ray]

And in the category of "Is there anything that Amazon doesn't sell?":

DEWALT D55167 1.9 HP 200 PSI Oil Free High Pressure Low Noise Horizontal Portable Compressor

Black & Decker VEC1093DBD Smart Battery 40/20/10/4 Amp Battery Charger

Philips Norelco HQ5 Reflex Action Shaver Replacement Heads

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:50 pm; edited 7 times in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, who bought the Crocs shoes? I HATE those damn things. Ugliest shoes I've ever seen in my life. Seriously. Sorry, but it's true. I've hated them pretty much from the first time I saw them. Then, about a month ago, I see one of those "expose" shows where they talked to several parents about how their children's feet were mangled in escalators while wearing Crocs. Apparently, the sticky rubber gets caught at the sides, and pulls into the crack between the moving stair and the stainless frame at the sides, and tears up the foot in the process. My kids will NOT be wearing those things.

All the other stuff is funny. It's hilarious to see some of the stuff people buy. I'll take that Nikon lens, though!

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
OK, who bought the Crocs shoes? I HATE those damn things. Ugliest shoes I've ever seen in my life. Seriously. Sorry, but it's true. I've hated them pretty much from the first time I saw them. Then, about a month ago, I see one of those "expose" shows where they talked to several parents about how their children's feet were mangled in escalators while wearing Crocs. Apparently, the sticky rubber gets caught at the sides, and pulls into the crack between the moving stair and the stainless frame at the sides, and tears up the foot in the process. My kids will NOT be wearing those things.

SC

To each his own, I love my Crocs and wouldn't trade them for any other shoe, they have survived three years of my use where most shoes, boots, and sandals are good for 6-8 months before the soles begin to tear out.

They're great shoes for going to the lake in and are also nice around the farm and in packing sheds where there are wet floors and lots of slippery surfaces.

I also don't have to worry about getting my feet mangled as I can't remember the last time I SAW an escalator.

So what do you wear Crabby Wink Smile
View user's photo album (1 photos)
klover

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crocs and socks have become a disgusting trend.
nuttall_chris

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klover wrote:

What's wrong with Crocs and socks Question Question Question

Chris.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuttall_chris wrote:
klover wrote:

What's wrong with Crocs and socks Question Question Question

Chris.

Yeah,

What's a guy to do when he wants to wear his Crocs in a foot of snow Wink
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to agree with ecrabb on this one. I hate those too. Ugly ugly ugly. They are the Yugo's of shoes.

And yes, nice lens.

I didn't know Curt did so much gardening. Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
emdawgz1

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate Crocs

Crocs are Ghey Wink

CrocsDM2607_468x573.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  91.69 KB
 Viewed:  18021 Time(s)

CrocsDM2607_468x573.jpg

View user's photo album (3 photos)
tri_joel

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal,

Are you able to track who is ordering what from Amazon, or do you just receive a list of things that have been ordered through your links?

Peace,
Joel

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
Ugliest shoes I've ever seen in my life.

They look cute on kids.

ecrabb wrote:
Then, about a month ago, I see one of those "expose" shows where they talked to several parents about how their children's feet were mangled in escalators while wearing Crocs. Apparently, the sticky rubber gets caught at the sides, and pulls into the crack between the moving stair and the stainless frame at the sides, and tears up the foot in the process.

These exposes always come out when something gets popular. The same thing happens with any sandal type shoe.

Personally, I find the Crocs story cool. I wish we had even more stories like this. Three guys in the U.S. decide to make a unique boat shoe. They contract a company (Foam Creations, Inc) to make them. The shoes catch on and become a phenomenon. Crocs buys Foam Creations.

But SC, here is the site for you:
http://ihatecrocsblog.blogspot.com/

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and SC, about your expose:
http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2007/09/20/story-about-crocs-crox-is-a-crock/

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That story is so lame. It's an op ed entry in a financial blog, for pete's sake. I get his motivation, though - and I'd generally agree with that.

The story I saw was not a "crock". It was factual - the accidents happened. Yes, I know accidents happen, you have watch your kids, and that everything we do has risks associated with it. Duh. But, that fact is the rubber on the Crocs is sticky and grabby. If a fidgety kid (hun, none of those around!) sticks his foot over to the edge of the moving stair, it can get SUCKED into the gap between the stair and the frame. The show has no structure to it, so it's floppy and bendable - which facilitates it getting sucked in. Period. I don't like that. I saw the story - you obviously didn't. The point wasn't to damage Crocs as a company, make it's stock tumble, or anything of the sort. It was to let people know that there was perhaps a safety issue with Crocs on escalators - which is simply true.

Now, should the Crocs company be fully responsible for the accidents? In my opinion, absolutely not. But, then we're getting into a whole different discussion about tort and product liability. I tend toward the side of personal responsibility every time, except for cases of gross negligence. If I were the judge, I'd tell the parents to grow up and send them home.

I agree the Crocs story is great - I love to see wild success. It's exciting as hell to me. Even more exciting to me than the story of the Crocs themselves was the story of Jibbitz - the company Crocs bought. A stay-at-home mom and her kids start making doodads to stick ON Crocs shoes for fun. People like them and start asking about the doodads, so they start making and selling them out of the house. They get too busy, so they recruit family members to make them. They start selling them on ebay, and are so busy they have to get warehouse space and hire people. Then, own of the owners of the Crocs company sees one of the mom's girls with Jibbitz on her Crocs and hands his card to the girl. Barely a year after they started, Crocs, Inc. buys Jibbitz for TEN MIL, and hires the mom to stay on to run it. WOW! What an awesome story.

All that, said... I just hate the shoes. Wink Sorry, but I just think they're ugly. Obviously, I'm not alone, but obviously there are millions who do like them. I agree they're cute on kids, and they look kind of quirky/fun on nurses in the natal center at the hospital with colorful scrubs. They even look kind of fun at the beach or pool. It just bugs the crap out of me when I see people wearing them with socks and jeans in winter. Oh, and I think they're ugly. Smile

SC
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
The shoe has no structure to it, so it's floppy and bendable - which facilitates it getting sucked in. Period. I don't like that. I saw the story - you obviously didn't.

I read the AP story that triggered the local "exposes". What you say here is exactly true. It is also true for flip flops and a number of other shoes. Yet, where is the flip flop expose? No where, because they don't think it will draw the same kind of viewers that a crocs story will because of their popularity. You know, something like "Crocs--the unknown danger to your child's well-being! Tonight at 9."

kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate that sort of reporting. The "FOX news" of reporting. Constant scare tactics like:

"How breathing is killing you... What the government doesn't want you to know. Story at 11."

Just goes to show how gullible/stupid the average viewer is. I mean, do people sit around watching TV and think "Hey! I breath air! I should watch that! It sounds serious!". Obviously they do! Otherwise they wouldn't report things this way!

News shows and papers are just trying to do ANYTHING To get eyeballs looking at them.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Tue May 27, 2008 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well sure - there's the "if it bleeds, it leads" effect. Plus, there's the fact that flip-flops have been around for what... 20 years? 30 years? That wouldn't be news.

Plus, flip flops aren't sticky and grabby like the Crocs are. There's a difference.

Also, it's an issue with kids because of the size of the shoe (smaller = easier to pinch), and the all-important "kid" curiosity factor... "Hmm... what happens if I stick my foot over here... AAAAAAaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!" That's why I think it's important that people at least be aware of the issue.

This story is pretty fair:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3c8hP09yqg

It points out that the escalator itself carries with it certain risks, which is true.

SC
Heywood Jablome

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
I hate that sort of reporting. The "FOX news" of reporting. Constant scare tactics like:

"How breathing is killing you... What the government doesn't want you to know. Story at 11."

Just goes to show how gullible/stupid the average viewer is. I mean, do people sit around watching TV and think "Hey! I breath air! I should watch that! It sounds serious!". Obviously they do! Otherwise they wouldn't report things this way!

News shows and papers are just trying to do ANYTHING To get eyeballs looking at them.

Kal

The local affiliates are brutal... on a slow news day you can expect something like "50% of City of Boston school buses FAILED inspection. YOUR KIDS COULD DIE!!!!!!" (This actually was a local story, paraphrasing a little Wink )

"Those countries which lag behind in industry, in the application of mechanics and technical chemistry, in the careful selection and utilization of natural products, where the respect for such activities does not permeate all classes of society, will unfailingly decline in prosperity. They will sink faster when neighbor states, with an energetic exchange between science and industry, go forward with renewed vitality."
-- Baron Alexander von Humboldt: 1769-1859
Zebu Fellenz

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emdawgz1 wrote:
I hate Crocs

Crocs are Ghey Wink

I think it may be (some of) the people that wear them Wink
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zebu Fellenz wrote:
emdawgz1 wrote:
I hate Crocs

Crocs are Ghey Wink

I think it may be (some of) the people that wear them Wink

Actually, I think you'd really need to be a style challenge homosexual to wear those. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a gay man wearing them!

Last edited by Person99 on Wed May 28, 2008 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a gay man wearing them!

See, you're making my point Dave!!! Wink

Alright, I'll admit they look a little cute in pink on a little girl, or bright red with a Cars tee shirt or something on a little boy. They didn't look half bad on a couple of the nurses in the birthing unit where we had our little boy last summer, either with their colorful scrubs and... Never mind. On a 30, 40, 50-year old man, with socks and shorts? Not so much. Smile

tri_joel wrote:
Are you able to track who is ordering what from Amazon, or do you just receive a list of things that have been ordered through your links?

No, Amazon doesn't give out any personal information whatsoever. That would be a big no-no. You just receive an itemized list of items, the sale amount, and your Amazon Associates compensation.

SC
tri_joel

PostLink    Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No, Amazon doesn't give out any personal information whatsoever. That would be a big no-no. You just receive an itemized list of items, the sale amount, and your Amazon Associates compensation.

Whew. Thank goodness. I was relieved a few items I ordered were not shown in this thread. Amazon does have EVERYTHING you know. Embarassed Rolling Eyes

Peace,
Joel
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: