Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Mission speakers- another company gone to hell

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Mission speakers- another company gone to hell Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So here's something that I was not expecting:

A friend of mine brought me a small Mission 8" powered subwoofer yesterday, he found it literally in the trash. It looked to be in decent shape, but had a blown fuse in the amp module. The amp module was the typical amplifier module found in subwoofers, nothing special, but the amplifier itself was a small metal block with about 30 solder points going to the main PC board. No heatsinks, I'm guessing the metal case itself was the heatsink, and this moule was some sort of switching amp that's very efficient and doesn't generate a lot of heat.

THe reason the fuse was blowing is because the amp module had a dead short in it. I contacted Mission in the UK, and was told that the module was no longer available. That made the amp a throwaway, and I told my buddy that I could wire the speaker to terminals on the back and turn it into an unpowered subwoofer, or he could go to Part Express and buy a module if he wanted to.

FOr fun, I asked Mission how old the speaker was, and was told it was discontinued 3 years ago. Whoa! Designed to be disposable after 3 years of use, maybe 2 if a dealer was selling old stock?

I always considered Mission to be of a higher grade than the run of the mill off the shelf speaker. Alas, no more. Yet another piece of crap company cranking out disposable POS.

Just FYI.
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A company has two choices:

a) Charge insane markups to allow service many years after end-of-life
b) Charge a reasonable price and have shorter service times on the equipment that does die

So, if by 'higher grade' then you mean, 'like every other high end speaker company that builds a $10 box and sells it for $2000' I'm not sure higher grade is better.

Come on, Curt, you know what the markups on this stuff are; you know how hard it is to engineer and construct in quantity. Where's the justification for the pricing, and how is a company with reasonable pricing supposed to keep parts and infrastructure in-service for a decade after EVERY PRODUCT they make is gone?

Small volume and 'non-disposable' doesn't necessarily make it a better product. If your $300 speaker fails, you can buy it ten times over before you've paid as much as you would have for one 'fixable' speaker - which would then cost even MORE to fix. I see companies like Logitech out there making stuff like the Z5500 (IIRC; the newest one they make) and the quality per price is ABSOLUTELY INSANE. Yeah, you can't go in and fiddle with the transistors, but if you COULD, it would be a $2000 sub instead of a $200 sub that comes with five free little speakers. Razz

This is not something to be upset about. People with more money than brains will always be able to satisfy themselves by buying something from a rip-off artist, but mass production and the ability to produce products with INCREDIBLE price/performance (eg, fifteen years ago ANY home theater projector would run $15,000 MINIMUM, when it's now possible to buy a new digital that gets you 80% of the way there for under $1k) is a VERY good thing.

If I could produce motion platforms like the 301 for $1200 at the cost of board-level field-repairability, I'd do it in a minute, because a thousand times as many people could experience them and the downside is basically nill for anyone but guys like you - who are VERY, VERY few and far between.

I'd rather let more people experience my product than satisfy a vanishingly small minority who like to fix things at a very low level.

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how with all this talk about going green the world has become a disposable place. The point is, a subwoofer speaker and cabinet can last 50 years+, but a disposable amp makes the whole damn thing a throwaway.

I understand the world has changed, that doesn't mean I like it.

My point is, I've always thought of Mission as being higher end stuff, so I'd expect durability out of a product they sell. I'd expect servicability and parts availability over a POS Insignia brand that is the house brand at BB. Sad to see that companies like Mission are going for mass volume over quality and durability.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Peri, but I have to completely disagree. The way you're painting it - that it's an either/or choice between "insane markups" for service or "reasonable price" for short service times - just isn't a fair representation of the situation. At the least, it's not the whole picture. I tend toward disagreeing with you completely.

So you're saying a company can't keep a small stock of replacement modules (or at least parts to repair modules) without "insane markups". I say, bull****.

The real problem that has PLAGUED the industry for over 10 years now is that cheap disposable non-serviceable sh*t - like the wonderful "high value" made-in-China and Taiwan stuff from companies like Logitech (sorry, that's JUNK) is forcing the entire industry to lower their standards. Globalization and off-shoring has made it utterly impossible to compete with domestically-engineered and manufactured products - unless of course, people are willing to pay "insane markups" (just so the Americans that design and manufacture the products can make enough money to actually make their mortgage payments and car payments.) How does a company in the US or the UK assemble or manufacture anything and manage to compete against a company that imports speaker system made in China using what amounts to slave labor? It doesn't. It resorts to the same tactic just to stay alive. It manages to design and manufacture the best products it can given what the competition is doing. The result is the overall quality and longevity of almost all products falls to a lowest-common denominator - which is EXACTLY what has happened to the entire consumer electronics industry.

A perfect example is Miller & Kreisel. All their products were manufactured and assembled in the US. They started out building all hand-built audiophile satellite/subwoofer systems in the late 70's and early-80's. As the HT craze caught on, they made a name for themselves selling excellent surround setups in the$2500+ range, even selling systems to Lucasfilm and other popular studios for use in their audio production as reference loudspeakers. As the outsourcing and junk importers of the 90's started forcing pricing pressure on everybody M&K started building cheaper systems to compete (they probably shouldn't have). The result is that the owner of the company shut the company down. He wasn't willing to continue to lower quality or buy Chinese parts or assemble offshore, and it wasn't possible to be profitable building or assembling domestically, so he had no choice.

Mission Loudspeakers is simply another example of what was once a great company being purchased by a larger company to cash in on the name. Buy the name, cheapen the products, keep the retail prices the same and make money on it for awhile until the reputation is shot, then sell it off or kill it altogether after you've pocketed a few mil. It's happened thousands of times.

Sony is another example. It used to be high-quality gear made Japan. Not anymore. Now, most of it is Chinese junk like all the rest.

And what do we (as consumers) keep doing? We keep buying all the cheap junk "high-value" Wal-Mart/Dell disposeable sh*t we can get our hands on. Then, everyone stands around with their dicks in their hands like it's a big mystery why there's no manufacturing jobs left in the United States and the f*ck-stick politicians all promise they'll make it better when they know damn well they can't do a GOD DAMN thing about it.

Logitech quality per price insane. Gimee a f*cking break.

Sorry, you got me fired up, here.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Peri has the practical side of it dead on. We live in the world that consumers chose. Can't complain about it now.

If I go to market with 2 products:
1) Product XXX the sells for $1000 and has a failure rate of <1% and a serviceable life of 10 years, and
2) Product YYY that does what XXX does but sells for $200 and has a failure rate of 10% and a serviceable life of 3 years.

People will line up at WalMart to buy Product YYY and Product XXX may even die in the market. The downside is we have a bunch of crap made in China and the horrible impact of stores like WalMart. The upside is, substantially more people get to enjoy using and doing whatever our hypothetical product does. So, a once exclusive thing (like say a projector) becomes available to more people to enjoy. You can argue on which is right or wrong, but the market has chosen--like it or not.

I do agree with Curt though that this is definitely at odds with any type of "Green ethos", but whoever said most people where rational? Smile

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....

Last edited by Person99 on Fri May 16, 2008 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's photo album (1 photos)
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until "somebody" (most likely government, which is unlikely) forces companies to pay for the REAL costs of their products -- including all disposal / recycling / pollution costs -- the lowest-cost-wins ethic will always beat the make-good-stuff ethic. If companies had to pay for the genuine full cost of their product, they would have to pass that along to the consumer, and the cheap-crap products would suddenly be a lot less cheap. As they should be.

But in the meantime, companies will continue to produce cheap crap, people will continue to buy cheap crap, they will continue to load the landfills with disposable products, and Curt will continue to moan. I don't see it changing any time soon.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:
Until "somebody" (most likely government, which is unlikely) forces companies to pay for the REAL costs of their products -- including all disposal / recycling / pollution costs -- the lowest-cost-wins ethic will always beat the make-good-stuff ethic. If companies had to pay for the genuine full cost of their product, they would have to pass that along to the consumer, and the cheap-crap products would suddenly be a lot less cheap. As they should be.

Hmmm, you'd pretty much have to get every single Republican out of government in the U.S. for this to happen. Sad but true--and that ain't gonna happen! I've always wondered why they think money is more important than the world their kid's kid's kid's kids will live in. But, that is the way it is.

But back to the topic, I agree with you, people won't demand these things for the good of themselves, government would be the only way. Oh well.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
I think Peri has the practical side of it dead on. We live in the world that consumers chose. Can't complain about it now.

If I go to market with 2 products:
1) Product XXX the sells for $1000 and has a failure rate of <1% and a serviceable life of 10 years, and
2) Product YYY that does what XXX does but sells for $200 and has a failure rate of 10% and a serviceable life of 3 years.

Bang on Dave!

The thing is, I learned some time ago (well, OK, quite a while back now!) that you usually get what you pay for. Product XXX above used to be the norm. Product YYY is where we're at today for 99% of what's out there.
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:

Ok, THAT pisses me off. My company would ***INSTANTLY*** go out of business with this kind of policy. Just the paperwork would sink us within a month - I guarantee it.

It's easy-peasy for you guys to go around telling other people how to live their lives, and to be kind to the environment, and think about the future - you're not the ones who will actually pay the price for it. You can spend thirty grand putting drywall in your basements, and think that $2500 is a cheap subwoofer, and generally have, from my perspective, an absolutely ridiculous amount of money.

But I'm BUSTING MY ASS to create MORE manufacturing jobs in the US, working for $3/hour so my employees can live a good life, and then people have the utter balls to tell me that I should pay for disposing of seven hundred pounds of steel every time I sell a machine? How the hell am I supposed to 'pass on the pollution costs' to my customers when some will use their 6kwatt machines ten hours a week and some will use it 100 hours a week? And then they're supposed to pay even more on TOP of buying the electricity in the first place?

That kind of attitude is emblematic of recent attitude of those bent on "saving the world".

What they advocate is a wonderful way to make all the sanctimonious 'pro-environment' twits feel like they're "doing something" while enjoying all the benefits of the evil evil consumerism they claim to hate so much.

To be blunt, Mark is a good example of this - a guy who rides an electric bike and uses his projector once every two weeks so 'save the planet', as if knocking two tenths of a percent off his overall energy consumption means a hot god damn. And if Mark has central air conditioning, he's using twice as much power as I would with a double-stacked G90 blend running white screens 24/7.

But, "Oh," I can hear you say, "He's doing much more than that, and if everyone does their part..." NO. If everyone 'does their part' like this it still won't matter.

Even if EVERYONE took ALL of the measures I see touted to limit their energy consumption, the difference would be almost nill - at the best case 10% of consumer energy use, which is at most 25% of overall energy use. That 2.5% overall energy cut won't get us very far if we really ARE destroying the environment, and if we really ARE running out of fossil fuels.

If you really care about the planet, then advocate for nuclear and geothermal power. Those are the ONLY practical options for reducing our reliance on fossil fuels (and, at the moment, nuclear is the only real option for large-scale power generation) - not charging for future energy use of products, not driving more efficient cars, not carbon credit trading, and not riding a f*cking electric bicycle!

These feel-good measures are nothing but crap. They have no significant effect, and we pour billions into PR campaigns, think tanks, and useless legislation (imagine how much power and paper we're using for that crap) to satisfy the masturbatory self-congratulation of people who like to tell everyone else how to live their lives, but aren't willing to make actual tough calls about the future. Driving your hybrid car is easy; agreeing to a greater reliance on nuclear power is impossible, because the Russians screwed it up and it's got radiation and atoms and is very dangerous and oh no we can't do that! Instead, let's all put up some f*cking windmills, not warm up our CRT projectors, and declare the problem solved!

If humanity wants to solve its energy and pollution crisis, it needs to focus ENTIRELY on PRACTICAL ways we can solve the problem, whether or not those ways are dangerous or are themselves bad for the environment. Want to feed the people? Want to not live in huts without electricity? Want humanity to actually survive? Then put up some nuclear power plants. If you don't support that, then I invite those among you telling me to turn off my projector, get a $30,000 hybrid car, pay for my products' energy usage, and ride a goddamned segway to work, to collectively roll it up tight, and shove it up your ass.

That is all. And this is a threadjack, so I'm through with it here. If you want to tell me what an ******* I am, you can do it in another thread, but I still won't care.

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calm down, Dave. I'm not attacking you or your business model. I'm just engaging in some wishful thinking about the way I think things SHOULD work.

If my hobby happens to be hunting, and in the course of my hunting trip I shoot 3 or 4 of your cattle, I'll bet you'd want me to pay for the damage. If some kid likes to hotrod his car around town, and in the process he runs into my car or destroys my landscaping, you can be damnsure I'd want him to pay to fix it. If his reckless behavior resulted in injuring or killing someone, there would be serious legal and financial consequences. I think that's pretty obvious for everyone.

So why should a company be allowed to do the same thing without paying for the damages caused by their business practices?

In our business climate, for the most part corporations don't have to pay the actual full-lifecycle cost of producing and selling their products. Occasionally laws or lawsuits catch up with them (e.g. tobacco lawsuits, decades after the fact), but most of the time they can sweep those costs under the carpet for somebody else to pay. Even if the company eventually gets sued, the management who made the decisions will be long gone and will get off scott-free.

So given that humans follow incentives, and management of those companies are richly incentized to go for short-term profit without considering the overall long-term costs, **NATURALLY** they use business practices that cause pollution, sickness, and death. Naturally they form business models that sell addictive (but profitable) poisons to people, or dump their wastes into the air and water, or ignore the fact that their cheap crap will end up in a landfill in 3 years.

Should you pay the "pollution costs" for the electricity people use? No, since that's *their* usage. THEY should pay the true costs of the electricity they use. But yes, by this model you should pay the real cost of the steel. Which of course you would have to pass on to the buyer.

Which is what this all comes down to. If cheap-crap electronics have an authentic real cost 2-5x higher than their current selling cost, due to disposal, replacement, pollution, etc, then they should COST that much to the end consumer. (SOMEbody is going to pay it eventually, so it's only fair that the person who creates the demand for the product should bear the cost, instead of dumping it on me, or you, or your kids.) If the consumer has to pay what it REALLY costs, then the consumer will make different choices -- and maybe companies would find there's a market for quality (but lower "cost") products after all. And maybe companies would make business decisions that would be better for everyone.

Don't mind me, I'm just pipe-dreamin' ...
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perisoft wrote:

It's easy-peasy for you guys to go around telling other people how to live their lives, and to be kind to the environment, and think about the future - you're not the ones who will actually pay the price for it.

The stupidity of this line of thinking will never cease to amaze me. "Hey, it is going to cost us too much money to keep the planet inhabitable--f*ck it, it's our kid's kid's kid's kids problem. Why should we care?"

You gotta be f*ck***' kidding me! A person with a high school education should have enough critical thinking skills to see the problem with this.

perisoft wrote:
What they advocate is a wonderful way to make all the sanctimonious 'pro-environment' twits feel like they're "doing something" while enjoying all the benefits of the evil evil consumerism they claim to hate so much.

Although you find twits everywhere, this is a gross generalization.

perisoft wrote:
To be blunt, Mark is a good example of this - a guy who rides an electric bike and uses his projector once every two weeks so 'save the planet', as if knocking two tenths of a percent off his overall energy consumption means a hot god damn. And if Mark has central air conditioning, he's using twice as much power as I would with a double-stacked G90 blend running white screens 24/7.

But, "Oh," I can hear you say, "He's doing much more than that, and if everyone does their part..." NO. If everyone 'does their part' like this it still won't matter.

Um, you are kidding right? If the U.S. just used the same amount of resources per person that Europe or Australia does, that would make a HUGE impact. Why don't you run the numbers instead of spouting off what Rush Limbaugh told you.

perisoft wrote:
If you really care about the planet, then advocate for nuclear and geothermal power. Those are the ONLY practical options for reducing our reliance on fossil fuels (and, at the moment, nuclear is the only real option for large-scale power generation) - not charging for future energy use of products, not driving more efficient cars, not carbon credit trading, and not riding a f*cking electric bicycle!

When you have a viable option for the waste, come knocking.

And besides Einstein, huge changes don't happen in big bangs. You need a plan and progress toward a target. The things you deride are just that.

perisoft wrote:
That is all. And this is a threadjack, so I'm through with it here. If you want to tell me what an ******* I am, you can do it in another thread, but I still won't care.

Grow up!!!! No one "owns" threads and it is quite appropriate to Curt's original point as to why products are they way they are and what could be done to make it better.

And as far as your "I work for $3/hour"--sorry, I have to call bull**** on such ridiculous claims. If you worked 16 hours per day, every day with no days off (which you don't or you could not post here or watch your home theater), you would make $17,500 per year. Assuming you work 65 hours per week (BTW, the average person that says they work 65 hours per week works 48, but I'll give you 65), that comes out to be $10,000 per year assuming you take no vacations. Methinks you make false claims here just like much of your post.

perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:

When you have a viable option for the waste, come knocking.

Use breeder reactors, which reuse their waste and are very efficient, or stick it in a hole. As you state above, the consequences are serious, and you don't get something for nothing. You can either DRASTICALLY alter the way in which you live - and doing this is hardly going to matter with India and China coming online with more first-world-style economies - or you DRASTICALLY alter your ideas about what is and isn't acceptable for energy generation. Oil's not going to cut it. Coal's not going to cut it. Wind and solar won't cut it. Geothermal won't cut it until we make BIG advances in materials technology.

Cutting 'spending' to European levels, or Australian levels, or even Guatamalan levels, will not help. If we run out of fuel, we run out of fuel, full stop. It's huts or change, people.

Quote:

And besides Einstein, huge changes don't happen in big bangs. You need a plan and progress toward a target. The things you deride are just that.

Hybrid vehicles and meaningless lifestyle changes do nothing but distract from the real problem - power. Everything is about power. Generate power with a highly efficient (nuclear) or essentially infinite (geothermal) source, and you solve the environment, you solve power, you solve food, you solve everything. Anything but development toward power generation is pointless because even the developed world cuts power usage by 50%, which will NOT happen, the developing world will easily offset any gains.

Quote:

And as far as your "I work for $3/hour"--sorry, I have to call bull**** on such ridiculous claims. If you worked 16 hours per day, every day with no days off (which you don't or you could not post here or watch your home theater), you would make $17,500 per year. Assuming you work 65 hours per week (BTW, the average person that says they work 65 hours per week works 48, but I'll give you 65), that comes out to be $10,000 per year assuming you take no vacations. Methinks you make false claims here just like much of your post.

Your last statement is just about correct. I average 65 hour weeks, do not take weekends off, do not take vacations, and my salary is roughly 10 to 12k. Yeah, I live on that. It's such irony - I say this to make a significant point about hypocrisy, and those who the point is aimed at can't even conceive of someone living that differently.

And that's the rub: If you want to solve this problem by cutting your lifestyles, you're going to have to, effectively, take your salaries down to that level. Prices, just like Garyfritz says, will go up - and they'll go up to a point that's probably similar, ratio-wise, to the way I'm living now. I probably ALREADY have less of an environmental footprint than Mark_AW because I can't *AFFORD* to pollute any more, or consume any more energy than I do!

That's what 'living standard' is - how expensive it is to buy stuff, do stuff, go places. Living standards for the western world will have to drop DRAMATICALLY, not just by 10 or 15%, to have a significant impact environmentally. So I don't think that dropping the 'buying power' of the upper middle class to something around my salary is out of line (in Finland, where I was recently, it's already a bit like that because the country is not wealthy: A t-shirt is the equivalent of $40 US.).

I'm going to make a rash assumption that most guys here are pulling down $65 to $75k. We'll say $70k. I'll adjust that to $40k takehome, because I'm not paying much in the way of taxes and you are. Now let's do some numbers vs. weekly salary - the high end sample at $770/week, and mine at ~$250.

Night at Chili's to you guys: 3%
Night at Chili's to me: 12%

Plasma TV to you guys (assume $1500): 190%
Plasma TV to me: 600%

$200 worth of groceries to you guys: 25%
$200 worth of groceries to me: 80%

$50 in gas to you guys: 6%
$50 in gas to me: 20%

My point here is not to say how poor I am (I have a great life because of good fortune and a LOT of extra work to find/fix the stuff I want rather than buying it outright) but to tell you guys that THIS is how you have to be ready to live if you want to solve this problem by cutting back on lifestyle. We're not talking about only running the AC when it's really hot, or turning off the PJ, or only going to disney once a year. You need to be ready not to drive into town because it costs 5% of your weekly income for the gas to do it. You need to be ready for any kind of new car to be the domain of the top 10% of the income bracket. You need to be ready to shovel coal in the winter because oil is too expensive.

If you're ready for the world to change its lifestyle on that level, then congratulations - if we all did it now it would buy us another hundred years, tops, assuming that the world economy didn't go down in flames during the transition.

Otherwise, you better get ready to dig some big holes for nuclear waste, because it's the ONLY alternative. Talking about small cars and fluorescent lightbulbs is a waste of time.

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I missed a couple of things here:

Person99 wrote:

The stupidity of this line of thinking will never cease to amaze me. "Hey, it is going to cost us too much money to keep the planet inhabitable--f*ck it, it's our kid's kid's kid's kids problem. Why should we care?"

You gotta be f*ck***' kidding me! A person with a high school education should have enough critical thinking skills to see the problem with this.

You misinterpreted me. My point was that the people who pay the price for these so-called 'environmental' measures are the poor. When the poor pay twice as much for gas, it hurts them a lot more than the wealthy. When the poor pay twice as much for milk, it hurts them a lot more than the wealthy. Those who make a reasonable amount of money are insulated because they spend a much smaller percentage of their income on necessities. The raw cost of living for someone who makes $100k is $10k, but the raw cost of living for someone who makes $15k is still $10k.

Make everyone pay more for their gas, electricity, and food in order to counterbalance the environmental impact, and the poor person is completely f*ck***, but the upper-middle-class person just has to swap the Explorer for a Civic. (Or, in the real case of someone talking about how gas prices had affected them, swap their Explorer for a Mercedes and fire the gardener. I'm not sh*ting you.)

Quote:

Um, you are kidding right? If the U.S. just used the same amount of resources per person that Europe or Australia does, that would make a HUGE impact. Why don't you run the numbers instead of spouting off what Rush Limbaugh told you.

I addressed your first point previously, but I had to call you out on the Rush Limbaugh thing. I've got a high school notebook with "Clinton '92" written on the side. I've voted a straight democratic ticket my whole life. Hell, I've voted for Hillary Clinton about three times! The fact that I don't favor ineffective means of saving the environment, which will both not work AND hurt the working poor, doesn't make me a big Rush fan in my eyes. Still, feel free to pigeonhole if it's easier to attack someone you think is a republican.

(By the way - my rhetoric here is strong because I'm passionate. But I'm not going to keep a list of forum guys who disagree with me. I'll raise a glass with ronholm and I'll raise one with Mark, if either would raise one with me. My only hard line is drawn with Israel. Have a big problem with them and you'll have a bigger problem with me, on a political *and* personal level.)

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:

And using as much nuclear energy as they do in Europe would do the same, thing if not more.

I'm far from being a fan of the French, but they get nearly 80% of their electricity from nuclear power. You want to change things here, take a long hard look at their model.
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucketfoot wrote:
Person99 wrote:

And using as much nuclear energy as they do in Europe would do the same, thing if not more.

I'm far from being a fan of the French, but they get nearly 80% of their electricity from nuclear power. You want to change things here, take a long hard look at their model.

Exactly. Unfortunately, I haven't heard (which doesn't mean there aren't, but they're not loud if they are) a single environmentalist endorse nuclear power. And, in general, activists do everything IN their power to prevent new plants and shut down existing ones.

That's what's so incredibly infuriating - the same people screaming for alternatives to fossil fuel and simultaneously thwarting the only practical alternative based on prejudice and ignorance. If I didn't know better, I'd think they were purposely preventing positive change in order to advance an agenda of forcing people to live 'in harmony with the earth'.

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for doing things to reduce our energy usage as well. It's just that I happen to live in a place called the "real world" where we know that this alone is not the solution.

I no longer have a problem with wind energy as the more modern slower spinning turbines are not the bird killers that Altamont Pass is. But don't kid yourself into thinking that this does one thing to eliminate coal or any other types of power plants. Wind turbines are not on-demand power and require a 100% matching source from another power source (most often coal).

Solar power for mass usage has pretty much the same issue, but both should still absolutely be pursued.

I grew up near the ocean in California and have never understood why there has not been a bigger push to develop tidal power plants. You want renewable energy... well here you go.

It is simply not a one issue quick fix problem. The way to get there is by doing all of it in moderation. We did not create our energy problems overnight and we sure as hell won't fix them overnight, no matter what any politician (or former VP) may try to tell you.
drice1234

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Your last statement is just about correct. I average 65 hour weeks, do not take weekends off, do not take vacations, and my salary is roughly 10 to 12k.

I am curious why you would value your time so little? Is this your own company that you may see a return on in the future? If you are working for someone else for these wages even if they have promised you future compensation IMO you are making a huge mistake. I have not made 12k a year since 1981 and I was sharing an apartment with 3 other guys and still barely getting by. We hire field technicians with little or no experience at our company starting at $16.00 an hour and the cost of living in Dallas is alot less than New York.
perisoft

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drice1234 wrote:
Quote:
Your last statement is just about correct. I average 65 hour weeks, do not take weekends off, do not take vacations, and my salary is roughly 10 to 12k.

I am curious why you would value your time so little? Is this your own company that you may see a return on in the future? If you are working for someone else for these wages even if they have promised you future compensation IMO you are making a huge mistake. I have not made 12k a year since 1981 and I was sharing an apartment with 3 other guys and still barely getting by. We hire field technicians with little or no experience at our company starting at $16.00 an hour and the cost of living in Dallas is alot less than New York.

Oh, jesus, of course it's my company! I guess I figured that was obvious. The only people who work these hours for these wages are programmers at electronic arts. Wink

I'm doing what I'm doing because I love it and because it's an amazing thing to do. I don't work in a cube; I set my own hours, and I've been in 5 countries in the last six weeks and will be in 6 more in the next six.

Also, of course there's the potential return. I could do one deal and not have to work for the rest of my life. Or I could go bankrupt just as fast. Unless you've done it you don't realize what a huge rush it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Audio All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: