Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

New HTPC built around gigabyte gama780gm and Amd 4850e

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
incova

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: New HTPC built around gigabyte gama780gm and Amd 4850e Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have the gigabyte board revision 1
amd dc 4850e
2 gig corsair
500 gig sata2 maxtor
lg GGC-H20L

Software is

MS xp pro SP 3
Anydvd hd
Power dvd ( provided with the LG )
gigabyte motherboard drivers ( with audio drivers and everything else )

The good news is it all works great except for the sound!

According to my pc I have no onboard sound, although I was going to install the xfi card anyway I would like the onboard sound to work just in case. Does anyone know what could cause this, the realtec driver is loaded from the gigabyte cd and the sound is enabled in the bios. I am finding this very strange, its like the onboard sound does not exist according to the pc.
Also Fearless the hd dvd does not work, I have to check the anydvd forum s for that. Anyone got any ideas on this? I dont want to update the bios as I am almost there and I hate bios flashing I got it wrong once with my 486 dx 100!! a long time ago and its left me with flashbacks!
Confused

incova

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: think I got it Reply with quote

In the manual it states it need the MS uaa bus driver which is on the mb driver disk! bs its not there, you have to download this and the realtec ati hdmi audio driver from realtec, I think that has done it, I gotta go to bed I will update in th e morning, just have to work out how to output digital to my dac now and not analogue. Smile
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: think I got it Reply with quote

incova wrote:
In the manual it states it need the MS uaa bus driver which is on the mb driver disk! bs its not there, you have to download this and the realtec ati hdmi audio driver from realtec, I think that has done it, I gotta go to bed I will update in th e morning, just have to work out how to output digital to my dac now and not analogue. Smile

For shame! Very Happy

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Angus_rg

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: think I got it Reply with quote

incova wrote:
"you have to download this and the realtec ati hdmi audio driver from realtec

That's best anyway. Even with recent hardware you have a real good chance at getting some moldy oldy driver that has issues that have been fixed. Any time you get hardware, it's best to toss the driver cds in the garbage and download the latest and greatest, unless its the network card, but that's probably common sense. Wink

I've noticed XP wasn't real friendly to onboard devices and 3rd pci/e cards without manually installing drivers. Hold laughter, Vista is much better with it. Rolling Eyes

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: think I got it Reply with quote

Angus_rg wrote:
incova wrote:
"you have to download this and the realtec ati hdmi audio driver from realtec

That's best anyway. Even with recent hardware you have a real good chance at getting some moldy oldy driver that has issues that have been fixed. Any time you get hardware, it's best to toss the driver cds in the garbage and download the latest and greatest, unless its the network card, but that's probably common sense. Wink

I've noticed XP wasn't real friendly to onboard devices and 3rd pci/e cards without manually installing drivers. Hold laughter, Vista is much better with it. Rolling Eyes

I agree, pitch the disk then download the newest driver if you have not already. I too am fond of Vista, it’s becoming a mature product especially for Blu-ray playback. I just don't have issues just throw in a disk and watch it.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: think I got it Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
I too am fond of Vista, it’s becoming a mature product especially for Blu-ray playback.

HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!!!!! I thought I was the only one. I don't see how you can have a BR media PC without it, though I'm still looking for some Linux experimentation time.

The biggest problem with vista is public perception. They never should have released RC1 to the public, and they shouldn't have put such low specs on the box.

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: think I got it Reply with quote

Angus_rg wrote:
MikeEby wrote:
I too am fond of Vista, it’s becoming a mature product especially for Blu-ray playback.

HOLY CRAP BATMAN!!!!!! I thought I was the only one. I don't see how you can have a BR media PC without it, though I'm still looking for some Linux experimentation time.

The biggest problem with vista is public perception. They never should have released RC1 to the public, and they shouldn't have put such low specs on the box.

Yep, I run it with a Q6600 and an Asus/Intel X38 chipset motherboard w/4 GB ram.

Just finish watching Juno tonight thew in the BR disk PDVD came up started playing hit enter on the play menu and watched perfect 72Hz refresh image no fuss.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Are you saying that BD is a PITA with xp? I don't have and Blu-ray disc's yet but I have the LG combo drive and all of my HD-DVD's work great with xp. Personally I hope I don't need to get vista when I start with BD as some of my current hardware is completely supported and adding vista adds significant cost to my HTPC.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: New HTPC built around gigabyte gama780gm and Amd 4850e Reply with quote

incova wrote:
I have the gigabyte board revision 1
amd dc 4850e
2 gig corsair
500 gig sata2 maxtor
lg GGC-H20L

Software is

MS xp pro SP 3
Anydvd hd
Power dvd ( provided with the LG )
gigabyte motherboard drivers ( with audio drivers and everything else )

The good news is it all works great except for the sound!

According to my pc I have no onboard sound, although I was going to install the xfi card anyway I would like the onboard sound to work just in case. Does anyone know what could cause this, the realtec driver is loaded from the gigabyte cd and the sound is enabled in the bios. I am finding this very strange, its like the onboard sound does not exist according to the pc.
Also Fearless the hd dvd does not work, I have to check the anydvd forum s for that. Anyone got any ideas on this? I dont want to update the bios as I am almost there and I hate bios flashing I got it wrong once with my 486 dx 100!! a long time ago and its left me with flashbacks!
Confused

How's the build going over there? Did you get it together yet?

CRT.

HD done right!
incova

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: getting there Reply with quote

OK guys, i did not get the sound working but then I was going to install the Xfi anyway so I did that and the sound outputted fine, I didnt have the spdif out for the mb anyway to test sound even if I wanted to. Everything is working very well, I updated anydvd to see if fearless would work but that was not the problem. I then checked for a update for POwerdvd and there was one specifically for my combo drive which upgraded my build to 7.03.3730a, I was having problems with my Beowulf blu ray as well as Fearless at this point. This build upgrade for Powerdvd sorted everything out, Fearless is a excellent transfer as well by the way, both movies are worth watching for the eye candy. The Barco seems to be coping with 1080p, pictures a bit soft but I can live with it. The main problem I am having is that cpu usage is way to high the gpu does not seem to be used not sure what to do about that as yet. i have read about this happening something to do with avivo if I remember right I will have to check it. The cpu hits about 73% which does not seem right considering the gpu should be handling a lot of the load.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What video card are you using?

CRT.

HD done right!
incova

PostLink    Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: intergrated mate Reply with quote

The gpu is intergrated mate, its what makes this mb the best deal presently, as it can handle 1080p by its lonesome I didnt even need to get the cpu I got I could have gone with something far less powerful especially if you check Toms hardware.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/676/1/

its that one, as far as I remember the cpu is processing way to much so somethings not working right.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: