Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

looking for a kloss 1000 or 1000a videobeam
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Frankly I want the 70's recliner on the right. If I had that in my theater, it would surely be swell, and I'd be a cool cat!
David Cox

PostLink    Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree. That recliner is mod cool for sure. It's an Eames lounge. Very nice design and super comfortable. Thought about putting a couple in my room too, but man, the price for a new one is out of sight.
Check it out:
http://dwr.com/productdetail.cfm?id=0943

David
crt projectors

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonynut, the pj advent should run then for a good time once refurbished. These are known to run for years in bars and other public places. Check fleabay for a eames chair knock off used, it's much cheaper. saw a knock off at a thrift few months back , surprised didn't get, but I alraedy have a room of 70s chairs!!
crt projectors

PostLink    Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still looking for an only advent 1000, anyone contacting MUST HAVE A price in mind . I'm just looking to avoid dealing with headache I had last month. Need to know if unit powers up, etc. A project is under way to fit novabeam tubes to the old advent Pjs as novabeam crts still available. Anyone with an advent pj wanting this conversion contact me, i'm polling interest. hey curt, my little one thinks your avatar is cool! I didn't even realize it was your, good to hear you chime in, with mods, advents should be feasible to run for years. novabeam crts have optics built into crt glass, not inside crt envelope as advent crts.
Advent Videobeam

PostLink    Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Found a Advent 1000A! Reply with quote

Got ahold of a working advent 1000A with original screen!

Thumbs Up

The unit works great but needs a little more convergence. The projector has an instant on feature and I use a seperate power switch directly cutting all A.C. to avoid premature CRT wear and failure.

I have sucessfully duplicated the screen surface using a flat, ultra white paint with right amount of reflective properties for gain since original silver surface isn't washable or servicable, the advantage of white screen is that it is viewable at nearly any angle similiar to a regular TV screen. Unit has had all accumalated dust removed inside with a vacuum. I'm impressed how well PJ was made, two cooling fans help keep unit cool. Several hundered viewing hours have already been put on it--- no problem. I have made a space saving design by storing screen suspended by chandelier chains near top of ceiling so it's out of sight when not used.

There are no parts available for PJ, I have gone through the effort to get a parts Vid 1000 that was broken down for PCB , CRTs. I plan on using this for as long as possible as no others or few survive. many of these have been scapped in the last few years.

I know this is really outdated, BUT the resolution is full NTSC and very watchable since CRT based. It took years for digital plastic boxes to catch up in picture quality. I own a proxima 9310 for family viewing, it's great until you have to shell out $250 bucks just for a light bulb, some bulbs are double that almost. I'm kinda amazed no one saves these for an extra tv, family room, as spare set. Seven foot size screen makes unit feel like still a home theatre unit. Clever acoustic properties of screen bounces sound back to you.I'm posting this as most advent history web sites don't even have a pic of the videobeam. Anyone can use or post these pics as they wish anywhere for advent company or other history info.

Last edited by Advent Videobeam on Sun May 04, 2008 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Advent Videobeam

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more pics
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!

That last picture with Henry must be one of the early prototypes; I helped sell, install and fix over a hundred Model 1000s back in the 1976 time frame.......

Advent Videobeam

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes tim, that pic was an early prototype, I got permission to post that pic from an engineer that used to work at advent. Please PM me with your ph # if can .. Tim in Pheonix, I'll call you tuesday or wensday. That's cool you were part of A/V History. the model one Novabeam I had years ago had a great display too. It's a shame nobody wanted to keep most of these, how quickly people forget the PJ that started it all.

I'm going to eventually develope a lightweight replacement screen for this PJ since even fewer screens survived for anyone wishing to restore and use set. The picture really isn't watchable without special screen. The new screen should be easy to assemble and ship unlike bulky original screen.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun May 04, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about doing a replica of the origional screen? OR even a modern day tauras?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Advent Videobeam

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your avatar analog rocks is ultracool, Clockwork orange is one of my all time favorites!!

Actually I meant a replica of original screen since this is needed for proper PJ performance, What's a tauras??
Tim in Phoenix

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys!

As for VideoBeam trivia, they built a few with optional RGB in, for IBM back in the 1976 time frame. IBM bought a few 1000s and had a special converter built by Hughes Aircraft; I was tapped to install it at IBM in Southfield Michigan. The converter extracted signals on several dozen wires into the card cage on the IBM 3178 tubes, monochrome then but IBM followed soon after with an RGB output option for their color tube called 3179; thus allowing demos to dozens of clients at a time instead of two or three. This meeting launched my career in data display and led to our dealership with Electrohome soon after; we sold many of the Ehome EDP56s, 57s and 58s, and the ECPs followed in the 1983 time frame. I went on many missions with an oscilloscope and a bag of wire and connectors and developed a knack for extracting video signals from the insides of computer terminals, and won dozens of sales over the competition in the Detroit region and elsewhere. The rise of Extron, and later the rise of networked VGA pcs made video interfacing easy for almost anyone.

AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim in Phoenix wrote:
Guys!

As for VideoBeam trivia, they built a few with optional RGB in, for IBM back in the 1976 time frame. IBM bought a few 1000s and had a special converter built by Hughes Aircraft; I was tapped to install it at IBM in Southfield Michigan. The converter extracted signals on several dozen wires into the card cage on the IBM 3178 tubes, monochrome then but IBM followed soon after with an RGB output option for their color tube called 3179; thus allowing demos to dozens of clients at a time instead of two or three. This meeting launched my career in data display and led to our dealership with Electrohome soon after; we sold many of the Ehome EDP56s, 57s and 58s, and the ECPs followed in the 1983 time frame. I went on many missions with an oscilloscope and a bag of wire and connectors and developed a knack for extracting video signals from the insides of computer terminals, and won dozens of sales over the competition in the Detroit region and elsewhere. The rise of Extron, and later the rise of networked VGA pcs made video interfacing easy for almost anyone.

Thanks for the history lesson. I love hearing it from the guy's that lived it.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advent Videobeam wrote:
Your avatar analog rocks is ultracool, Clockwork orange is one of my all time favorites!!

Actually I meant a replica of original screen since this is needed for proper PJ performance, What's a tauras??

It's a curved high gain screen. Probably much like the origional

CRT.

HD done right!
hellbrunn

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: I have an ADVENT Videobeam 1000A Reply with quote

Both projector and screen are available, although the projector wasn't working well so we haven't used it in years. Now that my father has died, we were thinking of pitching it... but is there a better solution? Are there people who collect these things... even if they need repair?

Can you give me some advice?
donaldk

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Advent Videobeam wrote:

It's a curved high gain screen. Probably much like the origional

Only it has a aluminium foil reflective surface, like the Sony screens, and my Vutec (6800?).
crt projectors

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Still a work in progress Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I'm also advent videobeam here in this forum as passwords aren't easily retreived by email.

MY R2-D2 unit is still in shop for repairs. The wiz of OZ pics are shown display poor convergence and focus as circuits are out of whack.

I have found a super high gain screen material to maximize picture output. I will post some awesome photos showing what a properly dialed in unit can do.

I have extensive tech info from company brochures. Here's some FACTS, 1000 has comb filter to elininate noise from picture signal. TRUE full NTSC color demodulation for accurate color. Resolution up to 1000 lines instead of 520, higher than NTSC TV. NO shadow mask, full contrast output.

On That last note on 1000 lines, isn't that close to HD?
Wink

Can Curt OR someone with knowledge steer me to a HD Fury or other unit to possibly to eventually rig a Blue Ray to get max resolution out of this unit with all effort into the restoration?

Advent Brochures ALWAYS show great screen shots with ultra clear picture from a closed circuit TV image. Can this image be a 1000 line generated image through a doubler?, was the technology possible at that time??

I want the best possible image available to show why these were the standard to be considered for years aside from the low light output.

SisterOfMercy

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why's there a black rectangle in the middle of the lens? I've seen this on other older CRTs, but I have no clue to what it is.

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the black rectangle you are refereing to is the phosphor. The image you see when you look into the lens is a reflection on spherical mirror. The crt & lens is a single intergraded unit.
kschmit2

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SisterOfMercy wrote:

Why's there a black rectangle in the middle of the lens? I've seen this on other older CRTs, but I have no clue to what it is.

That's a Schmidt corrector plate Smile
It's used in Schmidt optics or Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmidt_corrector_plate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmidt-Cassegrain_telescope

The CRT tube would be the red "x" in the attached diagram
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Still a work in progress Reply with quote

crt projectors wrote:
Can Curt OR someone with knowledge steer me to a HD Fury or other unit to possibly to eventually rig a Blue Ray to get max resolution out of this unit with all effort into the restoration?

These units are 480i only (video only). You can't do HD on them. Frankly, you can hardly do 480i on them they're so soft/fuzzy.

Get yourself something like a Barco 800 or Sony 125x/127x that'll do 1080i very nicely and you'll be startled at the difference in image quality. They're available for only a few hundred dollars or less. People are even giving them away for free.

Yes, Henry Kloss was an important person in in the history of video reproduction/HT, but it doesn't mean we should still be using his equipment 30-40 years later. Ford was also important to the auto industry when he built the model-T but nobody in their right mind still drives a model-T. Wink

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: