Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

12V/5V DC Power Supply Needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: 12V/5V DC Power Supply Needed Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Anyone know of a relatively cheap AC/DC adapter that has a 12VDC and 5VDC output?

I have a fan control kit with thermal sensing and it requires a PC ATX power cable 5/12VDC.

I plan on using it to ventilate and monitor my hush box so I don't have access to a PC power supply.
View user's photo album (33 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: 12V/5V DC Power Supply Needed Reply with quote

AFryia wrote:
Anyone know of a relatively cheap AC/DC adapter that has a 12VDC and 5VDC output?

I have a fan control kit with thermal sensing and it requires a PC ATX power cable 5/12VDC.

I plan on using it to ventilate and monitor my hush box so I don't have access to a PC power supply.

Why not just use a PC power supply? You can get a cheap one and jumper the correct pin's to make it start up.

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about that.

I don't need that much power and I was concered about the size of a ATX power supply and fan noise. Also I want it inside the hushbox. I would be concerned that the PSU might overheat with it's fan recirculating the PJ hot exhaust.

Joust

TV/Projector: Marquee 8501LC

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will have the same problem with any power supply.
AT power supplies are dirt cheap. you could mount it such that it sucks the excess heat from your box.

an at supply could use a relay switched on with an internal voltage from your PJ.

or alternatively there are lots of smaller block style Power supplies available.
try computer recyclers and surplus shops.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the DVDO power supplies are 6 volt at 4 amps. THey are $25 from DVDO. Little wall wart.

But I agree with everyone else, get a computer SMPS. Cheaper, and fairly quiet..
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFryia wrote:
I thought about that.

I don't need that much power and I was concered about the size of a ATX power supply and fan noise. Also I want it inside the hushbox. I would be concerned that the PSU might overheat with it's fan recirculating the PJ hot exhaust.

You could get one from Shuttle PC. Their's are small and fairly quiet. Or you could get a whisper quiet one from many manufacturers

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Heywood Jablome

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go, seven bucks: http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=15955+PS
Also look at their open frame supplies if your enclosure allows it.

"Those countries which lag behind in industry, in the application of mechanics and technical chemistry, in the careful selection and utilization of natural products, where the respect for such activities does not permeate all classes of society, will unfailingly decline in prosperity. They will sink faster when neighbor states, with an energetic exchange between science and industry, go forward with renewed vitality."
-- Baron Alexander von Humboldt: 1769-1859
AFryia

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heywood Jablome wrote:
Here ya go, seven bucks: http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=15955+PS
Also look at their open frame supplies if your enclosure allows it.

Good prices but there is a 15$ minimum. I can't hit that even if I order fans through them.

I found a PS on another site. I think I'm going that route.
View user's photo album (33 photos)
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most secondhand/thrift stores have several of these sitting on a shelf. Used on lots of computer related accesories, most of them have cords that can be altered to suit whatever you want. Most have +12v, +5v, -5v, grd. Usually under 2-3 bucks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: