Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HTPC based around AMD 780g chipset.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
incova

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: HTPC based around AMD 780g chipset. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi all, I have decided to build a HTPC around this chipset and was looking for some advice and pointers as to what is the most compatible thing for this build:

My basic aim is to make a pc specifically geared for hd dvd and blu ray use based around the most cost effective platform.

The choice of mother boards is as follows: I looked at this page beforehand to get a good idea of which mb to get.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/674/1/

Microstar International MS-7411, this looks good especially the pre amp card, although for me personally I think I would stay away from the 5x100W amplifier audio add-in card as i think this would cause problems with my setup, but others may love it.

The Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H looks good as well although all these cards seem limited audio wise, except for the msi.

The processor will be a AMD Athlon X2 BE-2350, It has been stated that these boards are made for cpus with low power draws so not a good idea to get these boards if you are going to get a high end cpu or gpu in the future I dont think. The onboard graphics can be used in sli mode but performance is still below par for the latest games I think so stay away if you are a hard core gamer I think these boards are for Home theatre niche use only really. refer to Toms link as this is the base of the system I would want.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-780g-chipset,1785-17.html

THE HARDWARE
Microstar International MS-7411 or Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
AMD Athlon X2 BE-2350 ( good price cheap on power draw so i will be saving money their )
2 GB DDR2-800, I usually get corsair memory but I will get generic stuff this time as the memory wont have to be pushed.
160GB Maxtor STM3160215A DiamondMax 20 ( cheap and reliable usually )
400w Silverpower SP-400P2C
soundblaster xfi xtreme music. ( I dont know how to use this with this setup or if you can !)
I already have a case keyboard and monitor to use with this.

now the hard part, I dont have a clue which blu ray/ hd dvd player to use. i only want a rom not a writer as i wil get the writer when things get real cheap.

LG GGC-H20L Lightscribe, this looks like a good deal but i seem to be reading that quite a few people are having problems with this drive. The alternative is to get seperate hd dvd drive and blu ray.

Xbox 360 drive, not sure of how this drive will go with the software I want to use.
Pioneer BDC-S02BK, combined with the xbox drive will give me both hd formats on the pc at about $60 more.

I will be using anydvd HD and power dvd 8 ultra, this should be able to playback everything I want but I really dont know.

So what do you guys think, the total setup comes to about $760, this will also mean I should not need a hd fury with anydvd hd software, apparently.

incova

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: xp service pack 2 or 3 will be used. Reply with quote

xp pro with service pack 2 or 3 will be used, depending on which is better for the htpc.
HV-MAN

PostLink    Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've built my HTPC using this board see my thread http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9848&highlight=1292

There is also a large thread on AVS http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=992503

I'd try the onboard sound before spending $$ on a sound card.
Unless you own and HD-DVDs I'd forget the format ever existed it dead now.

Regards
Craig A

incova

PostLink    Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: hd dvd Reply with quote

i know its not supported anymore but theres movies like the Matrix only on HD dvd and they are so damn cheap now that after a while when the burners come down in price I will just burn them onto blu ray discs, i reckon about 20 months or so and blu ray burners will be up to speed and the discs will also be cheap, thats my reasoning anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: