Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

A movie to consider.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outwest

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: A movie to consider. Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
The Final Countdown. I had not seen nor heard of it before, but enjoyed watching it last night. The premise is a strange electric/magnetic storm transports the nuclear carrier USS Nimitz back in time to December 6, 1941. The first half of the movie developes a pretty decent story and poses some interesting things to think about. There are some very good action scenes of the planes and flight operations on the deck of the carrier. The second half of the movie is a bit weaker and gets stupid in a couple spots, but the resolution is interesting and I think that is worth a look.

The cast includes Kirk Douglas, Martin Sheen, Katherine Ross, James Farentino, and Charles Durning.
whats6x7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd fogotten about that one. Great 80s movie.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I remember that movie!

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe people should check out the movie"Crude Awakening".
dropzone7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTS wrote:

We have plenty of oil. We just can't get to it because we might hurt a spotted owl or caribou. Manufactured crisis. I will keep my car, thanks.
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are denying reality. Yes, there are a few small oil fields that are being blocked for environmental reasons, but those are a drop in the bucket compared to the world oil supply. And the world oil supply, as a whole, is nearing capacity.

Sure, we have plenty of oil. We've probably only extracted and used 1/3 - 1/2 of the oil that exists in the planet. BUT: there is a limit to how fast the oil can be extracted from oilfields. And, as an aggregate, the oilfields of the world are currently running at almost full capacity, and are just barely keeping up with demand. That oilfield capacity is guaranteed to decline as the world oilfields peak, and the demand is guaranteed to expand as India and China explode into their everybody-wants-a-car phase of growth. There just will not be enough supply to meet the demand.

So "plenty of oil" isn't the problem. It's the ability to GET the oil that's a problem. You could be sitting on top of a billion-gallon aquifer of pure sweet water, but if you can only suck out a cupful a day, you're going to die of thirst. That's roughly what we're looking at for world oil supply. It's no "manufactured" crisis. It's real, and it's going to continue to get more $$$real$$$ over time.
dropzone7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do we do about it then? I would like to buy a hybrid vehicle but I can't afford one.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reducing the gas you use with your car is a good idea, if there's some way to do it. Buy a higher-mileage car, reduce your driving, carpool to work. It may be a pain but I suspect you'll find the incentive as gas prices keep skyrocketing.

Overall, though, there's not much you can do except prepare to have the cost of everything go up, a lot. Food, electricity, heat, anything made with plastic, etc are all very energy-price-sensitive. Plus the dollar is very likely to continue to turn into toilet paper, which will make it worse. It's not likely to be pretty.
dropzone7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, if I took the bus to work it would take me like 3 hours or more to get there. We have a really expensive new tax payer funded lite rail system which only runs through center city and uptown which is fine if you live there or work for one of the banks. Charlotte is a suburban community and we like our cars here, it's pretty much the only efficient way to get around. Our state government robs the highway trust fund which is supposed to be for building new roads and uses that money for things like this lite rail system that 2 or 3 people ride.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gasoline needs to keep climbing so that eventually the industry is forced into innovating an energy alternative to fossil fuels.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dropzone7 wrote:
WTS wrote:

We have plenty of oil. We just can't get to it because we might hurt a spotted owl or caribou. Manufactured crisis. I will keep my car, thanks.

Ah, the ability to remain uneducated and ignorant. I wish I could do that, it would make life so much easier.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Tom.W

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what to make of this but here it is.....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NbakN7SLdbk
papalek

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammmmm!!!!!! Does everything have to turn into political or environmental issues? This thread started a short time ago about how good a movie was. Shocked And the thing only lasted 3 posts before it changed. Shocked Thumbs Down
View user's photo album (24 photos)
whats6x7

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papalek wrote:
Dammmmm!!!!!! Does everything have to turn into political or environmental issues? This thread started a short time ago about how good a movie was. Shocked And the thing only lasted 3 posts before it changed. Shocked Thumbs Down

Damn straight! Let's get back to 80s movies. Anyone here ever see Rustler's Rhapsody? . . . Gimmie a large glass of warm gin served with a human hair in it.

PostLink    Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats6x7 wrote:

Damn straight! Let's get back to 80s movies. Anyone here ever see Rustler's Rhapsody? . . . Gimmie a large glass of warm gin served with a human hair in it.

Yeah your right....any of you remember The China Syndrome?

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
dropzone7 wrote:
WTS wrote:

Ah, the ability to remain uneducated and ignorant. I wish I could do that, it would make life so much easier.

Ah, the ability to remain a total pompous ass. That is one thing that has not changed about you Dave. I have tried to let it roll off my back but I have seen you talk to far too many people like they are total idiots. Hell, I have even made excuses for you before to people that don't know that's the way you are. If I don't agree then I'm "uneducated"? You make it really hard to like you sometimes and the worst part is that I know you really don't give a dam.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: