Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Barco setup: Quick reference guide
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Barco setup: Quick reference guide Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Barco setup: Quick reference guide

What this is:

A quick reference guide that lists the order of the steps you need to perform when setting up pretty much any recent Barco projector. This will work for older units as well, some of the steps will simply not be possible (ex: dynamic astig). In fact, 95% of the ideas in this quick reference guide could be used for pretty much any projector since the steps are generic enough.

What this isn't:

An in-depth step by step guide on how exactly to perform all of these steps in detail for beginners. Beginners should simply follow the setup guide in their manuals. Use this list as the initial checklist for searching for other 'how-to' information.

Who should use this?

Advanced users that want a quick list of the setup steps they should perform to get 100% out of their projector.

Who should not use this?

Users new to setting up CRT projectors in general. This is not a step-by-step beginner guide. Users new to setting up CRT projectors should follow the step by step guides in their manuals and keep their hands out of the unit. The only times they should be putting their hands near the projector would be to perform lens focus, toe-in, and scheimpflug (flapping). All other changes should be done via remote.

Warning: Many of the these steps involve you putting your hands inside the projector near 30-40KV rails. Do not attempt this if you are not comfortable doing this or know what you're doing. Skips these steps if you're not comfortable.

------------------------

A big thank you goes to CRTEAMAN (James) for posting the start of this list in a different forum. I've taken it and expanded on a few points.

Initial checks:

(0) Ensure the projector is installed correctly (correct distance from the screen, correct height, and square to the screen).

(1) Check the 17 volt rail with a meter. Adjust if needed (see service manual). Make sure that you use a video line frequency 15.6/15.7 or an internal pattern, also your H-width setting must be at 49 when you do this.

(1a) Check the 48V pot on the SMPS (see service manual).

(1b) Check the horiz linearity pot on the horiz defl board (see service manual).

Optical:

(2) Set the R and B raster to use most the CRT width, toe-in to center on screen properly (see Guy's excellent instructions here).

(2a) Do optical center focus, do corner focus, do Scheimpflug (lens flapping). (You need to go back and forth with these - very iterative). Guy has some excellent info on this using 3x5" recipe cards where you're attempting to see the phosphor grain on the screen (see link in previous step).

Tube magnetics:

(3a) Make sure horiz defl coils are hard up against the tube bowl and in an a near upright position.

(3b) Start with the mag focus yoke as close to the tube bell as possible. Set center e-focus to 57 and move mag focus yoke back (very slightly) if needed to get sharpest focus in center of screen.

(3c) Set mag focus yoke rotation correctly. Start with completely upright/inline with defl yoke. This good enough for most.

(3d) Set 2/4 pole magnets correctly to get astig at the center of the screen perfect. To test your astigmatism, do the following; pull up your genlock pattern select focus in the menu's and one colour at a time turn the focus all the way up and then all the way down, watch for the little lines at the centre and see if they twist violently in a diagonal direction, if they do then your astig is bad!

(3e) Using a grid pattern, rotate defl yokes until horiz centerlines coincide. Don't worry about vertical lines being off (convergence will handle this). It's more important to line things up along the horizontal left to right center line.

(3f) For all 3 tubes, do zone astig if your projector has it (this is the outside astig. Center astig's already done with the 2/4 pole magnets). Note: Do not use the Barco internal patterns as the dots are not round.

(3g) For all 3 tubes, Do electronic center focus, then electronic zone focus.

After adjusting the tube magnetics, you may wan to recheck the optical focus & Scheimpflug again (see step 2)...

Positioning of raster using mech controls:

(4) Raster width coils: Turn all 3 all the way in. Adjust the two larger rasters to match the smallest in width at the center point. (Use the horiz R/B shift pots to make it easier to line things up and measure the left to right horizontal centerline). One of the 3 coils must be turned all the way in!

(5) Do a little bit of rough geometry work on green now while viewing a grid pattern: Set up a rectangle on screen that's pretty much the height and width of what you want. Set green raster shift to 49/49. If it's not centered when near 49/49 (midpoint), move the projector! You don't have it installed right! (Some minor offset from 49/49 is ok of course, but it probably shouldn't be more then 10 points away in any direction).

Set your R and B raster shifts to 49/49 (this is the center convergence zone for each tube respectively). Turn on R and B grids one at a time over the green grid and:

-Use the horiz shift pots to line up the R/B rasters to be even with the green (only look at the center of the screen).
- Use vert shift pots to line up R/B perfectly with green (only look at the center of the screen only).
- Use vert size pots to line up the top/bottom of R/B as close as possible with green (only look at the very top/bottom of the screen).

While some R/B raster shift may be used in subsequent steps or over time, your R/B rasters should both remain within a click or two from 49/49 (midpoint).

Now the 3 grids should be lined up as well as possible without using electronic controls (height, width, and positioning of the 3 grids should be the same). This ensure that we use a minimal amount of electronic compensation (important if you don't want it to drift).

Electronic controls:

(6) Now go through the guided setup and do the rest of the geometry and zone convergence. You'll skip a bunch of the early steps (raster centering, focus, etc) since they're already done.

After that you have to set your brightness/contrast using test DVD's, then do greyscale, (recheck brightness/contrast after).

DONE!

This is a short list, as it's meant to only be a quick check guide. Each of the items in the list could be expanded into 1-2+ pages each easily ... (no, I won't entertain doing this as it's very projector specific Smile ). Some of the items can take you 2-3 hours easily! The whole tube magnetics (section 3) stuff takes forever ...

Hope this helps someone!

Kal

P.S. I'm sure there are extra steps I do but have missed here. Feel free to let me know what you think and I'll add items as needed.

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0

Last edited by kal on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's photo album (18 photos)
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Barco setup: Quick reference guide Reply with quote

kal wrote:

(0) Ensure the projector is installed correctly (correct distance from the screen, correct height, and square to the screen).

Kal, if there is not a set up here that says optimize rasters and measure distance to screen, there should be. At least we should say that you can usually go about 5% closer then Lens says for a better pic.

kal wrote:
(1) Check the 17 volt rail with a meter. Adjust if needed (see service manual). Make sure that you use a video line frequency 15.6/15.7 or an internal pattern, also your H-width setting must be at 49 when you do this.

(1b) Check the horiz linearity pot on the horiz defl board (see service manual).

Since service manuals are not posted here, I think you should tell them what to adjust.

Optical:

kal wrote:
(2) Set the R and B raster to use most the CRT width, toe-in to center on screen properly (see Guy's excellent instructions here).

I think doing the raster width coils per Barco instruction should be added before this. Also, it needs to be clear here that you will need to use the H Width electronic adjustmet to make them rasters as big as you want.

kal wrote:
(3c) Set mag focus yoke rotation correctly. Start with completely upright/inline with defl yoke. This good enough for most.

This does not say what you are trying to achieve by spinning the yoke.

kal wrote:
(3d) Set 2/4 pole magnets correctly to get astig at the center of the screen perfect. To test your astigmatism, do the following; pull up your genlock pattern select focus in the menu's and one colour at a time turn the focus all the way up and then all the way down, watch for the little lines at the centre and see if they twist violently in a diagonal direction, if they do then your astig is bad!

Nice tip, but are the instructions for doing this anywhere on the site? I only know of the tube changing procedure in the service manual?

kal wrote:
(4) Raster width coils: Turn all 3 all the way in. Adjust the two larger rasters to match the smallest in width at the center point. (Use the horiz R/B shift pots to make it easier to line things up and measure the left to right horizontal centerline). One of the 3 coils must be turned all the way in!

Ooops, commented on this above. Why is this down do far? This should be done before all the focusing and such.

Just a few comments.

Dave
View user's photo album (1 photos)
kal
Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave,

Yep, there are a million and one ways that this list could be expanded on. It was one put together originally by James (CRTEAMAN) from avforums.com. I took it and expanded it slightly to make some things a bit clearer and also put some instructions in place indicating who should be (and shouldn't be) using this list. This is definitely not a list for beginners. It's for experienced Barco owners that want a step-by-step reference to remind them of the order of things. That's the reason why there are no detailed instructions really.

I would never recommend this list to someone new to CRT's. They should be using the install manuals only.

Kal

Alaric

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There,

I've seen this list on a few sites, but to be honest, from what i've read and understood it seems to be a set of tips aimed at someone who already knows it all already.....Very much like road signs, if you don't know where your going you see them too late, and if you do, then you don't need them !

I'm suprised over the time its been floating about someone hasn't expanded it a bit and good on Dave for point out a few bits.

I'm tempted to say, come on people, there is enough expertise here to expand it, and probably increase everyones knowledge a little !

The Barco Install/User Manuals are great if you have a factory new PJ, however if your PJ has been used a bit, then they leave a little to be desired....Even they they don't manage to squeeze the best out of them.

The Service manuals are 95% circuit diagrams which are probably great if your Curt and repair stuff, or a budding electrical engineer, however for the rest of the even quite technicaly minded people they are almost useless....That last 5% has some interesting bits, however obtaining useful procedures from the cryptic instructions and pictures is definatly a challenge !

cya,
Lee
NewbieDAN

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever expanded on this document? I'm very new to the Barco (1209s Graphics) but very familiar with Sonys....an expanded walk through for those (like myself) that are not familiar with the Barco, but familiar with Projectors would b great....
Cheer
Daniel

Forum Administrator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has never been expanded. Way too much work as some of the items could take pages and pages of explaining.

I would ask any specific questions you have or ask on the forum.

Kal

NewbieDAN

PostLink    Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears most of the astig and magnetic tube adjustments are non-specific to the Barco, and the principles are similar for most....what I'd like expanded is the information relating to the positioning of the raster and size using the pots and coils...as this is very foreign to me...any thoughts?

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Barco setup: Quick reference guide Reply with quote

Going to try and follow this guide, maybe some of you guys will have the patients and help me through this??

Initial checks:

Is the H-width the same as H-phase?

Manual says the following:
c) Adjusting MAX HOR AMPL P2
Adj. the Hor Amp of the display picture by means of the remote to its max==99

What item am I adjusting to MAX?
Adjust pot P2 for +48V on the collector.

Manual says:
Adj the core of the linearity coil using 15 kHz input source. It does not tell me what I'm looking for when finished?
Ile

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Barco setup: Quick reference guide Reply with quote

studio wrote:
Is the H-width the same as H-phase?

No,

Hphase adjust picture position inside raster.
Hwidth adjust raster width. Since picture is part of raster, it's adjusted as well.

First adjust Hwidth to so small that you can see whole raster in tubes face. You need to set contrast to 10 and brightness to 70 to see raster behind actual picture when you look to tube. Then adjust picture to little right from center using Hphase.
Adjust Hwidth back to normal, if needed adjust picture to center of tube with raster sift menu.

Just measure 17V line with your normal resolution and settings and if it's between 17.2-17.4 V leave it alone. Thumbs Up

studio wrote:
Manual says the following:
c) Adjusting MAX HOR AMPL P2
Adj. the Hor Amp of the display picture by means of the remote to its max==99

What item am I adjusting to MAX?
Adjust pot P2 for +48V on the collector.

Manual is written before 1920 wide resolutions and using this method could cause that you wont get wide enough picture with 1080i/p.

If you have enough adjustment range for all your resolution, you wont gain anything making this adjustment.
If you wont get wide enough picture, adjust Hwidth to 95 from menu and turn P2 pot until picture fills whole tube.

studio wrote:
Check the horiz linearity pot on the horiz defl board (see service manual).

Manual says:
Adj the core of the linearity coil using 15 kHz input source. It does not tell me what I'm looking for when finished?
Project test grid and if vertical lines have equal spaces between lines then horizontal linearity is good and you can leave it alone.

If it's not, there is more than that coil...
studio

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ile for you response!

Item 2 was one of my concerns. Using PS3 with Fury @ 1080p and adjusting the h-phase I couldn't see all of my image it scolls from side to side.
Ile

PostLink    Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

studio wrote:
Using PS3 with Fury @ 1080p and adjusting the h-phase I couldn't see all of my image it scolls from side to side.
These new sources with timings designed for digital displays can cause this problems. Not sure how well PS3 is going to work without VP to add more pixels to back porch.
studio

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there enough range to do both 4:3 and 16:9?
Ile

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

studio wrote:

Usually there is enough range in Vsize.

Exept in some seos units, there was need to remove some of those simulation mods.
studio

PostLink    Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this sound stupid where is the h-width? Is this the same a h-size?
skippyar

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ile wrote:
studio wrote:

Usually there is enough range in Vsize.

Exept in some seos units, there was need to remove some of those simulation mods.

I have a 4:3 Pj screen, something I do with my Barco 500 Data when alternating between a 4:3 and 16:9 video source was setup my Source 1 (composite) as 4:3 then use same parameters on Source 91 (composite) with adjusted vsize to 25% for 16:9.

Although not technically correct it's better than an interpolated 4:3LB video input, plus saves me the hassle of going through all the setup menus changing things back and forth between formats.

Now I simply press 1 or 91 (^_^)

Works a treat.

Ile

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

studio wrote:
I know this sound stupid where is the h-width? Is this the same a h-size?

Yes.
studio

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a PS3 with a Fury 2 on the 1209s. I have the problem of the content being to wide if using 16:9 at 1080p. With this setup what to I change to be able to display the whole width of the image?

Thanks
Steve
Ile

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

studio wrote:
I'm using a PS3 with a Fury 2 on the 1209s. I have the problem of the content being to wide if using 16:9 at 1080p. With this setup what to I change to be able to display the whole width of the image?

Thanks
Steve
Haven't ever tested PS3 with crt, but have read that it have too small porch settings for crt. You need scaler to chance porch settings.

Something to test.
1209s have high freq mode for horizontal deflection, that connects two deflection coils to parallel.
->Horizontal flyback time is smaller and this should help with limited horizontal porch settings.

It's adjusted in factory to turn on about 75kHz signal (pot mid position), but it can be adjusted to turn on in 60-90kHz. When it's at 60kHz also 1080p60 is covered.

Check if there is green led on in horizontal deflections daughter board when you have 1080p activated. If it's on you already have high freq mode activated.

If it's not on turn P1 potentiometer (hysterisis center) from vertical deflection board to ccw (I quess), relays should chance mode and led should turn on...

P1 Vertical def.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  126.95 KB
 Viewed:  15493 Time(s)

P1 Vertical def.png

studio

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ile,

I tried what you said, Led was off, by turning ccw the led came on. Now what?
Ile

PostLink    Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjust Hphase again and see if you get less cropped picture.

Active picture area should be bit wider than in long retrace mode.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> CRT Projectors All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: