Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

FAQ: TC1500 RGB to Component Converter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Crescendo-Systems Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joust

TV/Projector: Marquee 8501LC

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
AnalogRocks wrote:
but then we need some fancy looking buttons and knobs and switches! Make it look more impressive. Wink

"I can't stand it anymore! They're blinking and beeping and flashing! Why doesen't somebody pull the plug! " William Shatner Airplane II
View user's photo album (1 photos)
andygiddings

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:21 am    Post subject: TC1500 and Pioneer Elite PRO-720HD Reply with quote

Kim,

got the TC1500 today and hooked it up to the HD Fury and the Pioneer RPTV with component cables. Power supply to the TC1500 is also connected and on.

The good news is that the rolling blacks that were present just using the Fury into the VGA input are gone. Also good news is that there doesn't seem to be significant left or right shift.

Bad news is that I'm seeing some horizontal color banding across the screen, particularly when there are scenes with light content in an otherwise dark background. The colors vary with the scene and they tend to be about 10-20% of the height of the image, mostly near the top of the screen.

I had the same problem with the Vision FC4 and its distracting enough to make the picture difficult to watch. Any ideas on what is causing this?

Andy
beun

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

It could be caused by the width of the H and/or V sync. The board has two potmeters to change the width. You have to open the case by inserting a flathead into the slots on the side and carefully twisting a bit. You will find two potmeters on the bottom of the lower board, the one closest to the edge is for the H-sync width, the other is for the V-sync width. You can just run the board outside of the case, touching the components won't break anything. Please turn the potmeters and see if it changes anything.

Can you also post some pictures so I can see what goes on?

Kim

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim,

have tried turning the pots and the image doesn't change significantly (maybe the color banding is slightly reduced). Enclosed are some typical banding issues. First one is no HD Fury or TC 1500 therefore no banding, other two are with HD Fury and TC 1500:

Andy
beun

PostLink    Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

Thanks for the pictures, I will see if I can reproduce similar results and figure out what is going on.

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

I think I know what the problem is, do you have access to an RTC2200?

Kim

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim,

sorry I don't. Just the Fury and TC1500. Would this be needed temporarily (ie for testing) or permanently?

Andy
beun

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

This would be for test purposes only, I will get one to you very soon.

Kim

PostLink    Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

Having some more information now I can say that the RTC2200 will not help the issue. I will have to investigate this at home in more detail. I will keep you and everyone else informed. In the mean time, would it be possible to try this combo with other resolutions?

Kim

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

I think I know what the problem is, I will ship you a new board on Monday.

Kim

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim,

I don't know whether it backs up your analysis or not, but I did notice that the horizontal banding was strongest when there was substantial contrast in the scene (for example, if you look at image 3 in my earlier post, there is a light in a very dark scene) and that seemed to trigger the strong blue band in the image

Andy
beun

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is, is actually doesn't, maybe I have to think about this a bit longer.

Kim

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

I may have forgotten, but what do you use as source?

I now have a HD-A1 hooked up through the HDfury, a TC1500 to a Dell monitor and I don't see any streaking. I will later hook it up to a plasma TV as well.

Edit:

Looking at the signal on the scope, I can see that the sync ends well before the end of the line and therefor this should always work. I wonder if different sources have different sync positions and different start of a line, making the problem a bit harder to solve. For HTPC applications where there is full control over the sync width and position it should work fine.

Kim

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim,

I used both a Toshiba HD-A35 and a Sony Playstation 3. Both had the same issue. I also have an Anthem AVM-50 Preprocessor which performs HDMI switching. I tried HDMI via this Prepro and without (ie direct connection from HD=A35 and Playstation to Pioneer RPTV) and the same problem shows up,

Andy
beun

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What resolution are you running, the A1 can only do 480p/720p or 1080i.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1080i only, haven't tried other resolutions
beun

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your TV should accept 480p can you try that just to see how it looks?

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Pro 720HD results Reply with quote

First- I must say it is a nicely made piece of equipment. Thanks for sending me one of the first versions.

My setup: Pioneer Rear Projection PRO-720HD with HDFury and the TC1500.

1080i - blue bands as well
720P - not at all
480P - seems to be ok

photos here
1080i
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x123/burpinjello/PRO-720HD/1080I.jpg?t=1206203175
720P
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x123/burpinjello/PRO-720HD/720P.jpg?t=1206203249
480P
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x123/burpinjello/PRO-720HD/480P.jpg?t=1206203285
andygiddings

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TX-VTX

which source(s) are you using that gives you blue bands at 1080i? Sure is weird that no bands are showing at 720P or 480P. But, as I recall, I didn't get rolling blacks at 480P using the Fury alone into the 720HD VGA input. I'm assuming that you're not seeing any rolling blacks with the TC1500?

Kim, I wonder if these bands are only happening on interlaced resolutions? Would it be worth us trying 480i?

Andy
beun

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that 720p is not working is not suprising since the PRO-720HD does not seem to accept 720p according to what I can find on the internet. The problems at 1080i are worse because the backporch at 1080i is the shortest, even shorter than at 720p.

Is any of you up for another experiment, I would like to try the TCP2200 - which has a few more sync options - but in order to do that a PC with a free PCI slot is needed to power the card. The HDfury can than be directly connected to the TCP2200's input and the component output to the TV. I am starting to wonder if the Pioneer requires tri-level sync something that the TCP2200 has but the TC1500 not (yet at least).

Kim

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Crescendo-Systems Products All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7
Jump to: