Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

analog or digital video?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: analog or digital video? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have the choice of either analog output from the vga connection on my video card to the pj or using the digital output thru the hdfury to the pj. I think I want the digital but am unsure which resolution to use. It seems like when I run the res up too high I lose things from the screen. The card is a nvidea 8600gt 512meg. I have a 20ft vga-rgbhv cable for analog and dvi to hdmi into a switcher then to the fury. I know there are a lot of guys out there doing the same thing as me... succesfully... any suggestions?
kal
Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What rez you use depends a lot on the sources signals you want to use (PC? HD DVD? Blu-ray? DVD?) and also what display you have. You haven't told us either. Smile

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a 1272 for display and have the lg combo drive in a pc as source. I know i'm limited to 1080i thru the fury, but i'm baffled by the refresh rates and resolutions. With the analog from the pc to the pj i'm limited to what the pj can do by itself.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really want that projector to shine ( no pun intended-honest ) try 1184x666 from the HTPC or which ever resolution you have that's the closest.

Have you read this set up guide?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkruger wrote:
I'm using a 1272 for display and have the lg combo drive in a pc as source. I know i'm limited to 1080i thru the fury, but i'm baffled by the refresh rates and resolutions. With the analog from the pc to the pj i'm limited to what the pj can do by itself.

For a 1272 you might consider 1280X720p@72Hz I think a 1272 can do that without an issue. Analog Rocks would know for sure.

I am not sold on interlaced resoutions the interlaced field drives me nuts. One thing about the current line of Nvidia card is they don't seem to allow for custom resoutions and refresh rates so you might be out of luck there. Personaly right now I just use VGA but that could all change depending on the reports new Moome card for an XG.

Edit: HAHA you beat me to it. Smile

Mike

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
jkruger wrote:

For a 1272 you might consider 1280X720p@72Hz I think a 1272 can do that without an issue. Analog Rocks would know for sure.

I am not sold on interlaced resoutions the interlaced field drives me nuts. One thing about the current line of Nvidia card is they don't seem to allow for custom resoutions and refresh rates so you might be out of luck there. Personaly right now I just use VGA but that could all change depending on the reports new Moome card for an XG.

Edit: HAHA you beat me to it. Smile

Mike

Wink

CRT.

HD done right!
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about that setup guide... I have a printed copy, I better read it, Eh?
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkruger wrote:
I forgot about that setup guide... I have a printed copy, I better read it, Eh?

I would. All the testing has been done for you with that one.

CRT.

HD done right!
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That guide (along with the Guy Kuo focus guide) is a great setup guide for optimizing optical and mechanical focus, stig, etc. That said, the section regarding res/refresh is really outdated. The guide was written FIVE years ago - before anybody was doing anything much with HD. Then, it was all about scaling SD DVD. 666p was fine for scaling SD, but is MUCH lower-quality than what these machines will do with a great HD source NOW.

A sort of benefit (if you can call it that) of these machines is that the lenses and tubes soften the image enough that 1080i scan lines are all but obscured. So, in a way, you get the benefit of 1080i (resolution) without the drawbacks (scan lines). Think of it like oversampling.

With an HD source, I wouldn't even THINK of running 666p (or even 720p) on my 1271. I've tried both and I LOVE 1080i. Try it yourself and I'll bet you'll like it as much as I do.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
jkruger

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very happy withthe 1080i from the hd-a2 and the hd cable box thru the fury, but the htpc does't look so good. I need to play around with it.
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you certain you're actually getting 1080i? Some video cards (or drivers) are difficult or even impossible to get to run 1080i. My old Nvidia card was a no-go with 1080i - and I spent hours trying to get it to work. Switched to a different machine with an ATI card and it works perfectly. Are you using PowerStrip?

So, what don't you like about the pic you're getting from it? Icon text/menus too hard to read/too small? Mine is just on the edge. I can do it, but it's not comfortable. I just tolerate it because I love the image I get once the movie is playing. I just use the monitor in the rack to do the config/maintenance/HTPC stuff - most of the time.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe driver for the 8600 GT has timings built into it for 1080i. I had my 8600 running 1080i 72 and 1080i 96. However as soon as I changed display deviced the custom timings disapeared. I would set the timings up on the 21: CRt monitor and then disconect and plug in the projector. Timings would disapear???? So I switched to an ATi 3850 card and powerstrip.

The 8xxx series Nvidia card's aren't compatable with powerstrip.

Why not run two resolutions? 1184x666 for desktop and switch to 1080i for movie playback?

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: