Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Flexibatt Accoustic coefficient

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuck27

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Flexibatt Accoustic coefficient Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I've finally started building something, after months of research and many, many different mental and Autocad iterations. Very Happy

Starting with the Bass Traps that are going in the corners.....Roxul Safe 'n Sound seems a good choice, with Absorption coefficients of 0.52, 0.96, 1.18, 1.07, 1.05, 1.05 at 125, 250, 500, 1000, 2000, 4000 Hz for 3" thick material. I had to put some on order because I want the traps to be 24" wide, and despite what Home Despot says on their website and in their stores, they only stock the 16" material, at least that's the case at the store in Orangeville and that's a far enough drive.

Far more available is Roxul Flexibatt in a variety of sizes. I bought a couple of bags of 24" wide x 6" thick. From what consumer-level information is available, it seems to be a very similar material to the Safe n Sound (which is only stocked in 3").

What I'm looking for is a table of absorption coefficients for the Flexibatt. Can anyone help me out? Alternatively, can anyone confirm that is is acoustically equivalent or similar to Safe 'n Sound? I'm reluctant to use the same numbers as the Safe 'n Sound because the 125 Hz number is quite significant and an error there will not get me to where I want to go.

Thanks!!

using acreage for sound insulation since 1999
View user's photo album (17 photos)
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck,

Since Flexibatt is marketed as a cavity insulating material, acoustic specs may not be readily available. I'd either try posting over in the AVS builder's forum or better yet calling Roxul directly. I bet if you called them directly, you could at least found out if the tech data exists at all.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Chuck27

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea...I always prefer to mine the minds here first, but I'll call Roxul and see what they have to say. My innate cynicism told me it would be easier to find an answer here....but sometimes one has to bite the bullet can call the supplier.

Thanks!

Chuck27

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a pretty quick reply back from Roxul.....they said they don't measure the acoustic properties of Flexibatt since it is marketed as thermal insulation.

My biggest concern is the 125 Hz number...Safe 'n Sound 3" is 0.54 but that's a pretty high number and I don't want to assume the Flexibatt...even in 6"...is that high.

Guesstimates, anyone?

ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Flexibatt just basically 3" batt insulation? If so, have you checked to see if acoustic data exists for the similar JM or OwensCorning products? They may not be absolutely identical, but they should be a lot close enough to know you're using more accurate numbers. Just an idear.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
Chuck27

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "technical" literature, such as is available, is a little short on chemical composition; the best I can figure out is the Flexibatt and Safe n' sound are both made from steel slag and "recycled materials"; the ads for safe 'n sound show it being flame-tested with a small torch as evidence of it inflammability.

The other batt-style insulations at http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm vary a fair bit at the lower end of the sound spectrum so worst case, I can make a semi-informed guess based on similar material.

Thanks, SC!

Chuck27

PostLink    Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a follow-up, I did manage to get some 24" Safe 'n Sound. (For those around here, the Home Despot on Steeles at 410 stocks it).

To my untrained eye, Flexibatt and Safe 'n Sound look to be exactly the same material. There's only a minor price difference, so I'm giving Roxul credit for obtaining more retail shelf space with essentially the same product. I'm not in the retail business but I now people who are and there is some art associated with getting shelf space.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: