Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Some Pano shots of the theater

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drice1234

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Some Pano shots of the theater Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
I have been playing around with a new IP megapixel video camera from work that has (4) cameras in one dome that provides a 180 degree field of view. The problem is that each camera is a seperate feed and the manufacturer does not have any stitching software to put them together. I have downloaded and played around with numerous free panoramic software packages but cannot seem to get any to work right. With the attached pictures I ended up pasting the 4 seperate pictures into a Power Point slide and moving them together. Does anyone use a free or cheap picture stitching package?
Thanks
Dan

pano rear.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  35.59 KB
 Viewed:  13485 Time(s)

pano rear.JPG

Pano.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.92 KB
 Viewed:  13485 Time(s)

Pano.JPG

Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Some Pano shots of the theater Reply with quote

drice1234 wrote:
Does anyone use a free or cheap picture stitching package?

I use Canon PhotoStitch. Version 3.1 came on CD with my XTi.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/photostitch.htm
http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=14158
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also try these (with free trial downloads)...
http://www.panoramafactory.com/
http://www.360dof.com/products/index.html
ecrabb
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panorama Tools and PTStitcher are free/open source tools. Not quite as polished as the commercial software, but I've used it and it works.

http://www.all-in-one.ee/~dersch/

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
drice1234

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a few quick shots with the PanaVue software that Clarence linked to. Very easy to use and it works. I may have to breakdown and buy it. You can only save in black and white with the demo version but here they are.

Resulting image.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Resulting image.jpg
 Filesize:  159.62 KB
 Downloaded:  711 Time(s)

Resulting image 3.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Resulting image 3.jpg
 Filesize:  152.21 KB
 Downloaded:  659 Time(s)

Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, when's the meet? Smile

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
drice1234

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, when's the meet?

I have a full set of Eisemann modded boards for my 1209 that I need to get installed. After I get that up and running I will host a meet. I don't want to insult the Dallas CRT community with my lowly D50. I also need to motivate my wife to finish the black out drapes and figure out my final seating arrangements. The theater chairs are meant to be extra seating that I can store in the walk in attic off of the theater room and pull out when I need them.
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out these uber-panorams...
http://AmazingPano.com

click the "+" on the Zoomify viewer to zoom in to ridiculous detail.

My son and I had an overnight campout on this battleship:
http://www.karpolaw.com/BattleshipNJ.html
drice1234

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
check out these uber-panorams

That is starting to approach CSI stuff. I am in the commercial security business and you would not believe how many people think that they should be able to zoom in with a standard CCTV camera and maintain the same resolution as these pictures. Shows like CSI and that one about Vegas where they zoom in on someone's eye from 100 yards away and make out the reflection of a face in the pupil are a running joke in the industry.
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drice1234 wrote:
Quote:
So, when's the meet?

I don't want to insult the Dallas CRT community with my lowly D50.

You could do one with the D50. The group has not got together for quite some time (over 6 months). We need some excuse!!!

drice1234 wrote:
The theater chairs are meant to be extra seating that I can store in the walk in attic off of the theater room and pull out when I need them.

Well, if everyone shows up, you'll need them! Smile

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
View user's photo album (1 photos)
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always impressed with the 360 degree camera used on the HGTV virtual walkthroughs. Damned if I can remember the name of the technology. About 4 years ago I had the hairbrained idea that it wouldn't be a bad living to create the VT's for realtors but I never took it anywhere.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dream_home_tour_2007/text/0,,HGTV_28177_54756,00.html?dhr=dht

I see they make the Quicktime tour a window now. It used to be full screen. It's still impressive but not as much so as full screen.

Cool software Clarence. I played with it a little bit here in the office today.

Greg

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
hansilili

PostLink    Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make a 360 ° photo take a well polished spoon, point the camera vertically upwards and hold the bowl of the spoon above the lens.

Never tried it myself but read somewher that it should work.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drice1234 wrote:
Quote:

That is starting to approach CSI stuff. I am in the commercial security business and you would not believe how many people think that they should be able to zoom in with a standard CCTV camera and maintain the same resolution as these pictures. Shows like CSI and that one about Vegas where they zoom in on someone's eye from 100 yards away and make out the reflection of a face in the pupil are a running joke in the industry.

I also like the ones where they take a recorded cell phone conversation and split it into 24 discrete tracks (passing vehicles, conversation down the street, bird chirping, etc). Those CSIs sure do have some funky software! Rolling Eyes

The fact that every area of technology in which I have experience is obvious and utter bull**** suggests to me that *everything* on CSI shows is complete tosh.

Still good fun, though, at least when they're not trying to create interpersonal drama. I loved the early CSI Vegas eps where it was all stupid tech, squishy body parts, good cinematography, and wry commentary. If I want drama I'll watch a soap opera - give me more dead people!

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hansilili wrote:
To make a 360 ° photo take a well polished spoon, point the camera vertically upwards and hold the bowl of the spoon above the lens.

Never tried it myself but read somewher that it should work.

I hate to burst your bubble, but good lenses are more expensive than spoons for a reason. That will look like sh*t unless you have an aspherical, multi-element color-corrected spoon.

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drice1234 wrote:
Quote:

Enhance! [typing] Enhance! [typing] Enhance! [typing]
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustGreg wrote:
I was always impressed with the 360 degree camera used on the HGTV virtual walkthroughs. Damned if I can remember the name of the technology. About 4 years ago I had the hairbrained idea that it wouldn't be a bad living to create the VT's for realtors but I never took it anywhere.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dream_home_tour_2007/text/0,,HGTV_28177_54756,00.html?dhr=dht

I see they make the Quicktime tour a window now. It used to be full screen. It's still impressive but not as much so as full screen.

Cool software Clarence. I played with it a little bit here in the office today.

Greg

I say, pick up one of these puppies!

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9724604-7.html

If you haven't seen Google's street view...you haven't been freaked out yet.

Stay inside otherwise your mug might end up on google!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: