Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

(UPDATE) HTPC PROBLEMS with Blu-Ray playback: Blu-Ray/HD DV

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
futrhse

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: (UPDATE) HTPC PROBLEMS with Blu-Ray playback: Blu-Ray/HD DV Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
(UPDATE) HTPC PROBLEMS with Blu-Ray playback: Blu-Ray/HD DVD and HDFury compatibility outputted from HTPC:

After doing quite a bit of research we think we think we have narrowed this problem down to Blu-Ray profiles. We're getting ready to test the HTPC into a LCD HDMI READY Sony Bravia to verify. Sent 3 emails to LG tech support in hopes of getting them to provide us a clue.

Does anyone know if the LG GGC-H20L combo HD DVD/BluRay HTPC optical drive, (under FW rev level 1.02) is BluRay profile 1.1 compliant? If not it may be the reason it will not read the Bruce Willis "Live Free or Die Hard disk.

i.e. disc may be too new for old rev level hardware. Still yet to be determined. What we need is a listing of all 1.0 discs and all 1.1 profile discs, elsewise many will fall into the "outdated" HTPC BluRay player "trap".

Looks like we mihgt have a case of manufacturers dumping outdated hardware with minimum or no full discliosure. Buyer beware, or Blu Ray will get'cha.

futrhse
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

orig poste

Hello All, Newbie here and I could use a little help. (reposted also on HdFury forum)

I bought green full version of the HD Fury, hooked it up to a JVC DILA G20U PJ to 5BNC input. (Using PS unit on 5-6' cable included HDFury DVI-HDMI cable)

D-ILA PJ is "driven" by an ASUS HTPC with ATI X1900 (HDCP ready) Crossfire Video card and an LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD player/burner.

(HTPC System: Intel Pentium D XE/EE 965 3.73G HZ, 2GB of Crucial PC 8500 memory, LG GGC-H20L Optical DVD player/burner, SW is CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra and Arc Soft "Total Media theatre". Win-XP Pro OS.)

HD Fury device works GREAT under HD DVD at 720P and at 1080i. Don't care about 1080P as the DILA was never intended to "go there".

Currently... HD Fury simply will not pass Blu-Ray movie disc output, but the Fury does light up. Got Blue LED light. Blu-Ray disc will play into traiers but stops at Movie opening and repeats Movie intro trailer but will not let me enter "play or set-up".

Using a Blu-Ray disc Bruce Willis: "Live Free or Die Hard"

On Blu-Ray playback:

Have used VGA cable 6'... RESULT: no picture

Have used DVI to DVI output 6' cable from ATI Radeon X1900 output (driver rev level is 8.1 Newest Catalyst suite revision)... RESULT: no Picture

Have used DVI to HDMI cable on HTPC ATI card (came with HDFury green unit) ... RESULT: no Picture on Blu-Ray (everything on HTPC works GREAT with HD DVD)

I believe the AACS issues under HDCP are stopping the BD from picture appearing, I have heard BD has some sort of extended DRM ID that is superimposed on the output of Blu-Ray content more so than HD DVD has to contend with.

Questions:

Is the HD Fury compatible with BD (Blu-Ray) delivered from a HTPC? or is it lacking a robust HDCP/AACS/DRM ID ability to deliver Blu-Ray output from HTPC? CyberLink (PowerDVD ultra says X1900 ATI card IS HDCP compliant and ATI says X1900 IS HDCP ready, so I think Video Card is HDCP compatible, LG seems to work great.

Am I screwed? The HDFury green unit is less than 1.5 weeks old and I sure wish it would pass through the Blu-Ray signal as well as it does on HD DVD.

Could use a little assistance and input, GREAT FORUM!!!

Any thoughts, please advise.
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: (UPDATE) HTPC PROBLEMS with Blu-Ray playback: Blu-Ray/H Reply with quote

futrhse wrote:
Does anyone know if the LG GGC-H20L combo HD DVD/BluRay HTPC optical drive, (under FW rev level 1.02) is BluRay profile 1.1 compliant? If not it may be the reason it will not read the Bruce Willis "Live Free or Die Hard disk.

i.e. disc may be too new for old rev level hardware. Still yet to be determined. What we need is a listing of all 1.0 discs and all 1.1 profile discs, elsewise many will fall into the "outdated" HTPC BluRay player "trap".

Looks like we mihgt have a case of manufacturers dumping outdated hardware with minimum or no full discliosure. Buyer beware, or Blu Ray will get'cha.

futrhse
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would have to say that yes, the LG GGC-H20L combo drive with 1.02 firmware is BluRay profile 1.1 compliant because I am able to play “3:10 to Yuma” and according to the link below that disk is Bluray profile 1.1.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Disc_Announcements/Lionsgate/3:10_to_Yuma_Blu-ray_Goes_Profile_1.1/1183

In my case the problem was NOT with the drive, the problem was with Power DVD. My system is somewhat different than yours however. My HTPC is an Asus Motherboard with Intel X38 chipset, Q6600 Core 2 Quad CPU w/4GB ram. Video card is an Asus/ATI X3850 w/512Mb DDR3. The OS is Vista Ultra 32 bit. The disk would NOT play until I updated the PowerDVD with version linked below.

http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/download/dl_patch_561_112_ENU.html

Updating PowerDVD was not an easy task in itself, the PowerDVD I had installed was the OEM version that came with the drive. When I attempted to update with the software from the above link the install would fail because it update is only for the retail version. I was in luck because I had purchased a retail version for my Xbox HD-DVD drive a bought last summer. I uninstalled the OEM PowerDVD, installed the retail version then the 1/31/08 update from above and it worked.

FYI Arcsoft Total Media Theater does not play this disk.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the delta here is your newer ATI card and you're usage of Vista. I have the very same level of PDVD rev # 3730 and it won't play Blu-Ray for squat.

What type of PJ are you attached to and are you using a DVI interface "out" coupled with the HDFury? ARE YOU MAYBE PLAYING Blu-Ray over a VGA link?????

Glad you told me about the LG GCC-H20 being profile 1.1 compliant and that arc soft wouldn't play your 1.1 profile disc.

That just adds another piece to the puzzle saving me hours of time.

Thanks & regards.

futrhse
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Projector NEC XG 1351 and plain old VGA (RGBHV) that I push pretty hard at 1080p72Hz. I tried an internal Moome card, it somewhat worked at 1080i but had very bad crushed blacks.

He does have that fixed in new models but at $400+ a pop it’s a hard pill to swallow. I need to update my audio and would rather use the money towards that.

The DRM stuff in Vista seems to work the way it should, when I connect it to an LCD monitor without HDCP via DVI it will NOT work but any VGA Monitor or projector it seem to work fine.

IMO the DRM stuff in XP seems to be a hack where in Vista its build in to the OS. I’m not sure if that is good or bad, but I have had very good luck with Vista so far.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: FINAL UPDATE Reply with quote

FINAL UPDATE... 2-28-08 Replaced ATI X1900XTX video card with brand new MSI 3650 V-Card which has built-in UVD (unversal video decoder) optimized for Blu-Ray and HD DVD playback. Problem solved.

Note: Both BD Advisor and ATI said the 1900 cards were HDCP compliant/ready, the fact is even though they registered as HDCP capable/compliant/ready, they were NOT or the system did not recognize them as such. And to further compound the issue HD DVD would play fine, only Blu-Ray would not. So the new card took care of the problem.

Sure would be nice if the manufacturers CyberMedia Power-DVD ULTRA and ATI knew what the hell they were talking about when it comes to their specific products. But beware... THEY DON'T.

Regards,

Futrhse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: