Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Anyone looking to buy a Wii?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wallace123456

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Anyone looking to buy a Wii? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Anyone looking to buy a Nintendo Wii? Check your local Sams or Costco.

I just picked one up for $249.00. It has 1 controller and 5 sports games.

wallace

MYoung

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hats off to Nintendo for actually making money off each console they sell! That said, I really wish it was HDTV capable and not just EDTV. That's one of the reasons I sold my Wii and later bought a Xbox 360. There's a lot of untapped potential with the Wii thanks to the Wii remote. I wonder what Nintendo is going to do for their next gen console.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could they not make money? There ain't much in the way of new technology in it, and its SD only.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd call the Wii remote pretty revolutionary, if not for the technology, for the risk Nintendo took in putting it in a mainstream system. Had they put more horsepower in the system I'd probably still own one. To be fair, it is EDTV, not SDTV, and it has a widescreen setting. Hmm, maybe I can pawn some of my 1031Qs to local Wii nerds!

I want to see a sequel to 007 Goldeneye for the Wii that makes good use of the Wii remote! I'd settle for the N64 era graphics so long as the frame rate stayed high for 4 player split-screen. Red Steel was pretty disappointing.
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still, I am talking component costs. What is in the Wii that is expensive?

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanMan wrote:
Still, I am talking component costs. What is in the Wii that is expensive?

I don't know if they are $$$$ but the accelerometers and that kind of thing are pretty decent for something "reliable" enough to mass produce like that...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii

I hadn't played video games in in years.. Now you kind find me more often than I will ever admit, boxing the TV with some 8 oz gloves on...

LMAO...

So if nothing else they picked up a customer that never would have bought a game system otherwise...

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: JVC RS40, Epson 5010

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's obviously a very personal/taste thing, because the Wii/culture/games/look and feel just don't interest me at all. The whole thing is just a little too pre-teen/cutesie or something. Sorry, Ron! Wink

I've tried playing it a few times, and it seems like the novelty of the Wiimote wears off pretty fast, and then I'm bored. Give me Halo 3 in 1080p with mind-blowing graphics and surround sound. Give me Forza 2 Motorsports and let me drive around Road Atlanta in a Z06. Exciting stuff. Baseball? Boxing? Tennis? Meh. I can do those things for real.

SC
View user's photo album (10 photos)
ronholm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:
It's obviously a very personal/taste thing, because the Wii/culture/games/look and feel just don't interest me at all. The whole thing is just a little too pre-teen/cutesie or something. Sorry, Ron! Wink

I've tried playing it a few times, and it seems like the novelty of the Wiimote wears off pretty fast, and then I'm bored. Give me Halo 3 in 1080p with mind-blowing graphics and surround sound. Give me Forza 2 Motorsports and let me drive around Road Atlanta in a Z06. Exciting stuff. Baseball? Boxing? Tennis? Meh. I can do those things for real.

SC

I love the wii version of combat on the "wiiplay" disk... I don't care what you say...

See and I like to do the Halo Twisted Evil and racing around the track for real..... I'll leave playing that chit on the game consoles to the teeny boppers...

Mr. Green

and I just don't want to box against guys at my level in boxing anymore.. The Rugby bruises are bad enough.. it is hard to sell big jobs with a broken nose from fighting... LMAO...

I tried the whole "yes these are bruises from fighting, yes I am comfortable with that" Laughing but it just doesn't play well in suburbia...

Wink

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronholm wrote:

and I just don't want to box against guys at my level in boxing anymore.. The Rugby bruises are bad enough.. it is hard to sell big jobs with a broken nose from fighting... LMAO...

I tried the whole "yes these are bruises from fighting, yes I am comfortable with that" Laughing but it just doesn't play well in suburbia...

Wink

Rule number 1. We don't talk about fight club

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
ronholm

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
ronholm wrote:

Wink

Rule number 1. We don't talk about fight club

oh sorry... LOL...

You should have seen this one lady's face when she asked about my nose one time.. I forgot my suburbia skills and just told her.. "yeah its no big deal this is like the 12th time.." Opps... LOL... And then I just had to point out that my jaw isn't square anymore from where it was dislocated in a Rugby game that turned into a fight...

LMAO...

Silly me...

She hired me anyway..

But I stick to wii boxing now anyway....

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecrabb wrote:

I have to say, I agree. We have both a Wii and a PS3. I used to be a serious PC gamer (mostly in the early-mid 90's) and the Wii just doesn't do much for me. To each their own though. Nintendo really hit a home run with the Wii given the lower price and the fact that it's completely approachable. You don't have to be a "gamer" to enjoy it. In fact, as SC and I have mentioned, I don't even think it's targetted at the actual 'gamers' (which is a smart thing as they're a small part of the population).

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
ecrabb wrote:

I have to say, I agree. We have both a Wii and a PS3. I used to be a serious PC gamer (mostly in the early-mid 90's) and the Wii just doesn't do much for me. To each their own though. Nintendo really hit a home run with the Wii given the lower price and the fact that it's completely approachable. You don't have to be a "gamer" to enjoy it. In fact, as SC and I have mentioned, I don't even think it's targetted at the actual 'gamers' (which is a smart thing as they're a small part of the population).
Kal

Yep and colectively wiigh the most i'd bet. Laughing

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
ronholm

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kal wrote:
. You don't have to be a "gamer" to enjoy it.

Kal

I think you are right on... I wouldn't consider myself a Gamer... I had a bad addiction to StarCraft for a while... But the wii is a great warm up for my workouts.. and sometimes with some added flair is my workout...

I don't have an hour at any given point in my day to just give to a game.. So the wii games are great for a quick break... As well as are CRT forums... LOL...

I burned myself out on traditional game consoles with the 6 hr endurance races in Grand Turismo...

Forum Administrator

TV/Projector: JVC DLA-NZ7

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronholm wrote:
kal wrote:
. You don't have to be a "gamer" to enjoy it.

Kal

I think you are right on... I wouldn't consider myself a Gamer... I had a bad addiction to StarCraft for a while...

I think anyone that has played StarCraft a lot would be considered a 'gamer'. What I mean by the Wii being approachable to non-gamers is that I can give the Wii controller to my mother-in-law who's never seen or played a video game in her life, and within a few minutes she's bowling with the best of them as all you have to do is, well, swing your arm like you're really bowling.

Nintendo really hit a home run here. The human to machine interface no longer has a steep learning curve like every PC, Xbox, or Playstation game.

Kal

Support our site by using our affiliate links. We thank you!
My basement/HT/bar/brewery build 2.0
View user's photo album (18 photos)
MYoung

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want the best of both worlds. I want a Wii remote like controller with the 1080p graphics. Think of the possibilities for FPS games! If the controller refreshed fast enough the positioning of the controller could be reflected on the screen, say of a gun. That's just too cool! It will be interesting to see where Nintendo goes with this in their next gen console and if $ony and M$ rip-off the idea on their current or next gen systems.

Hell, forget this console crap. Get a bunch of ECE and CS geeks to build high quality Wii remote like controllers for PCs and make custom games! That would be cool. It's probably happening on some college campus right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: