Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

New life for HD DVD?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: New life for HD DVD? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
So not that I've been following the war closely or anything, but a couple of things strike me.

1) Anyone not alredy having an HD DVD or BR player should go screaming out and get a couple of the blowout pricing HD DVD players. It will make any SD DVD look 20-30% (subjectively speaking) better.

2) With Toshiba having spent a crapload on the R&D and manufacturing equipment on HD DVD, can they not crank out an HD DVD recorder for ginormous hard drive backup ability, or some or storage device? Seems to me that this would be good use of getting back some of the zillions that they've spent.

If they release it as a computer data device only, they could easily say:

'Gee Sony, we had no idea that some computer geeks could hack the recorder and turn it into a BR bootleg machine."

Smile
garyfritz

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New life for HD DVD? Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
1) Anyone not alredy having an HD DVD or BR player should go screaming out and get a couple of the blowout pricing HD DVD players. It will make any SD DVD look 20-30% (subjectively speaking) better.

Why would it be any better than any other good upscaling SD DVD player?

Quote:
2) With Toshiba having spent a crapload on the R&D and manufacturing equipment on HD DVD, can they not crank out an HD DVD recorder for ginormous hard drive backup ability, or some or storage device? Seems to me that this would be good use of getting back some of the zillions that they've spent.

I like it. I would **LOVE** to have a 30GB backup device.

Quote:
'Gee Sony, we had no idea that some computer geeks could hack the recorder and turn it into a BR bootleg machine."

Who ME!???? Twisted Evil
Joust

TV/Projector: Marquee 8501LC

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly why I want a Xa2.
I'll wager hackers will figure out how to put a BD drive in it.
View user's photo album (1 photos)
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New life for HD DVD? Reply with quote

garyfritz wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I put the identical SD DVD into a Toshiba A2 vs a Panasonic 480p unit, both bvia component output, and the A2 image looked better. Specifically the screen credits were noticeably sharper.
Joust

TV/Projector: Marquee 8501LC

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the HD-dvd player has a lot more horsepower and it runs linux.
linux is open source. prime playground for the "hackers"
Person99

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New life for HD DVD? Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
garyfritz wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I put the identical SD DVD into a Toshiba A2 vs a Panasonic 480p unit, both bvia component output, and the A2 image looked better. Specifically the screen credits were noticeably sharper.

Its not you. The upscaling in the HD DVD players is better than pretty much any upscaling player costing 3 times as much. A few scalers still beat it, but I've not seen an upscaling DVD player that costs less than 3 times as much that does as good. Curt is right on the money, even if you never intend to play an HD DVD, there is no way you are getting a better upscaling player at this price.

A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station....
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<blushes>

I think the next mailer will have that on it... less Kal's typos..Wink
AvgOrdinaryGuy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New life for HD DVD? Reply with quote

Person99 wrote:
even if you never intend to play an HD DVD, there is no way you are getting a better upscaling player at this price.
This is exactly what I've been considering for a while now. If I can find someone willing to part with an A2 for cheap (thinking that it is a dead format, so their player won't be any good anymore), I'll take it. One thing I'm not sure about though. Does the A2 output 1080i over component, or just HDMI?
scottap

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it comes under the category of costing twice as much (if you buy it new), but my Oppo 981 spanks my A30 when it comes to upscaling SD DVDs. It outperforms the PS3 as well.
greg_mitch

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New life for HD DVD? Reply with quote

AvgOrdinaryGuy wrote:
Person99 wrote:
even if you never intend to play an HD DVD, there is no way you are getting a better upscaling player at this price.
This is exactly what I've been considering for a while now. If I can find someone willing to part with an A2 for cheap (thinking that it is a dead format, so their player won't be any good anymore), I'll take it. One thing I'm not sure about though. Does the A2 output 1080i over component, or just HDMI?

It will only output SD DVD up to 480p over component but you can get HD DVD up to 1080i on component.
AvgOrdinaryGuy

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification, Greg. That is what I was afraid of. I quess I'll just stick with the HTPC set-up I'm now using. It's doing fine for SD DVD. Some time down the road I'll probably look into a BR player, 'cause I doubt I'll want to try the BR disk on HTPC route.
Clarence

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the boot up time, nor the remote control responsiveness (or lack thereof) of the Toshiba players.

Instead of spending $100-$150 on a HDDVD player, I'd rather see people apply that towards a PS3.

PS3 burners are cheaper, more readily available, and the media has twice the storage capacity.

Future authoring support will also be much greated for BD-R.
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarence wrote:
I don't like the boot up time, nor the remote control responsiveness (or lack thereof) of the Toshiba players.

Instead of spending $100-$150 on a HDDVD player, I'd rather see people apply that towards a PS3.

PS3 burners are cheaper, more readily available, and the media has twice the storage capacity.

Future authoring support will also be much greated for BD-R.

Both of these issues were things I didn't like about the 1st generation Toshiba player. Disk load time was slow too. Maybe it was better with 2nd generation units, but I went to an HTPC with an XBox addin before they were released, because I couldn't deal with the HDMI/HDCP crap.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarence wrote:

Bit of a Freudian slip there! Isn't it the truth though? "Now available on DVD and PS3!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: