Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

DVD quality now that Blu Ray won?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paw

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: DVD quality now that Blu Ray won? Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
HMMM!! I was thinking, now that Blu Ray has won, will the picture quality of DVD releases go down to drive HD consumers to Blu Ray?

Tinman

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Sony had anything to say about it, probably YES. But they don't. (fortunately)

Then again, money talks. Rolling Eyes

For example, ( having worked in the repair industry) Plasma and LCD TV's, be they flat or rear projection PURPOSELY have a degraded SD processor to increase the perceived difference between SD and HD viewed on the same set. This is done to promote the switch to HD by excagerating (sp?) how "BAD" SD looks. Seems to work, too. Look how many idiots flocked to bluuuuu rayyyyyy.... Twisted Evil

A well scaled SD title looks damn near as good, ESPECIALLY when sitting down, NOT 2 inches from the screen. NTSC has come a looooong way in quality. But whatever. I do agree that NASCAR looks great in HD. Mr. Green

Marc

Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinman wrote:
If Sony had anything to say about it, probably YES. But they don't. (fortunately)

Then again, money talks. Rolling Eyes

For example, ( having worked in the repair industry) Plasma and LCD TV's, be they flat or rear projection PURPOSELY have a degraded SD processor to increase the perceived difference between SD and HD viewed on the same set. This is done to promote the switch to HD by excagerating (sp?) how "BAD" SD looks. Seems to work, too. Look how many idiots flocked to bluuuuu rayyyyyy.... Twisted Evil

A well scaled SD title looks damn near as good, ESPECIALLY when sitting down, NOT 2 inches from the screen. NTSC has come a looooong way in quality. But whatever. I do agree that NASCAR looks great in HD. Mr. Green

Marc

I've noticed this too. I have a couple of top shelf analog tuners. One from Sony c.1984 that was used with their consumer 'monitor' telivision. Excellent picture.

The other is a Proton c.1986 that was use with their 'monitor' telivisions. The best analog signal I have ever seen was OTA with rabit ears off this tuner. I use to watch the WB that way. Buffy and Angel never looked so good. It was way less compressed than analog cable (Rogers)

BTW
I LOVE that avatar. Almost as much as the last one...

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Movie & Media Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: