Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Want an R2R but thoughts about 2 or 4 track

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Want an R2R but thoughts about 2 or 4 track Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of getting another R2R to replace a dead Sony TC-580 that was given to me that I don't know how to fix. The pinch roller solenoid won't engage to raise the pinch roller carriage/tape to the heads. (Sorry guys if I'm bastardizing the terms).
The reviews of the TC-580 resoundingly label it the worst Sony ever produced so I'd rather have something I can get right into using...not fixing. (I know, I know...turn in my man name tag and put one on that says Nancy). Laughing

Anyway, I've been roaming around the usual suspect sites; ebay, Craigslist and came across a 2 track, 1/2" Otari MX-505 BII.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OTARI-MX-5050-B-II-2-PRO-REEL-TO-REEL-DECK-nice_W0QQitemZ140205340259QQihZ004QQcategoryZ15199QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have 6 reels of tape of unknown contents that came with the Sony, 1/4" I believe, that I'd like to listen to for curiosity's sake. From what little I've read the Otari has a switch to engage a 4 track head. IF so, then it makes it a pro quality versatile machine that I can record fairly decent quality 2 track music to by recording each channel to one half the tape.

This is where I say, "Hell. I don't know what I'm doing." But I'd really like to get into R2R affordably but into a machine that's reliable and versatile enough to purchase pre recorded media for it.

Any thoughts Curt? Marc? Guys? Thanks

Greg

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett

Last edited by JustGreg on Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit, I typed a response, but the net glitched and I lost it when I hit reply.

To sum up:

4 track = consumer
2 track = pro/semipro.

You'll need at least 4 track playback capability to play your consumer tapes in stereo. For recording, 2 track will have better specs, but it also uses only one side of the tape, you can't flip it over and record on the other side.
Curt Palme
CRT Tech

TV/Projector: All of them!

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and send me the 580 if you're going to pitch it. I like a challenge..Smile
Moose

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From what little I've read the Otari has a switch to engage a 4 track head. IF so, then it makes it a pro quality versatile machine that I can record fairly decent quality 2 track music to by recording each channel to one half the tape.

The Otari MX-5050BII-2 will record 2 track and has a switch for 4-track. Not all MX-5050 models have this option so watch it! Tape speeds are 7 1/2 and 15 IPS and I believe there's a way to do 3 3/4 IPS but I don't know what it is. This is a heavy, rugged machine that was used a lot for radio so make certain the heads are not worn out. Lots of them on Ebay for reasonable prices. There's a wired remote available (CB-102) also but it's hard to find (I have one).

I believe certain Akai models can also record 2-track and play back 4-track and maybe there are others.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curt Palme wrote:
Oh, and send me the 580 if you're going to pitch it. I like a challenge..Smile

Consider it done. They're heavy sumbitches tho (but you already knew that). I'll have to check into shipping costs.

And as far as your first reply, I was wondering about the reverse side play while looking around...thanks for the clarification. If I understand correctly as long as it has the engageable (is that a word?) 4 track play head, which is normally retracted, I should be able to play consumer pre-recorded tapes right?

I'm not STUCK on getting the Otari but there were so few of them listed it seemed like there would be a uniqueness to owning one.

Thanks Curt. I'll let you know about shipping and you can decide if you still want it.

Greg

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
JustGreg

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moose wrote:
Quote:
From what little I've read the Otari has a switch to engage a 4 track head. IF so, then it makes it a pro quality versatile machine that I can record fairly decent quality 2 track music to by recording each channel to one half the tape.

The Otari MX-5050BII-2 will record 2 track and has a switch for 4-track. Not all MX-5050 models have this option so watch it! Tape speeds are 7 1/2 and 15 IPS and I believe there's a way to do 3 3/4 IPS but I don't know what it is. This is a heavy, rugged machine that was used a lot for radio so make certain the heads are not worn out. Lots of them on Ebay for reasonable prices. There's a wired remote available (CB-102) also but it's hard to find (I have one).

I believe certain Akai models can also record 2-track and play back 4-track and maybe there are others.

Thanks Alan. Of the few Otari's I found I picked up on the 4 head thing. I haven't bid on anything but the only ones I'm watching are: budget first, 4 head capable second. Shots of the heads are missing from all the units I looked at. The sellers tried to describe the wear (if any) but you know how that goes...it's all subjective.

Thanks for the great info tho! It gets added to my knowledge base.

Greg

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Source Devices All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: