Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Some progress on my theater

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keldor

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Some progress on my theater Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Not there yet but time to share some progress. Anything you see that has been done right I owe thanks to this site and forum.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110986008248794270593/NormanStreetTheater?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKGdpLGn-MX74QE&feat=directlink

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited by keldor on Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
dropzone7

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! I would love to be able to build a home theater from the studs up one day. So far I have had to make do with a spare bedroom or bonus room. It would be really nice to have it just the way you want it. I like the idea of running the pipe for a future hushbox. I plan on adding one to my setup eventually. The XG sounds like a small jet in my little room.

PostLink    Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Some progress on my theater Reply with quote

keldor wrote:
Not there yet but time to share some progress. Anything you see that has been done right I owe thanks to this site and forum.

http://picasaweb.google.com/MrKeldor/NormanStreetTheater

Cheers,
Steve

Thumbs Up As gramps used to say, "If it's worth doing it's worth doing right." I get a kick out of watching peoples HT's come together from scratch. Of course the down side to that is...I get to see what I didn't do 'cause I didn't know any better at the time.
Can't wait to see more.

Greg

"Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care!" --Jimmy Buffett
keldor

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="dropzone7"]Looks great! I would love to be able to build a home theater from the studs up one day. So far I have had to make do with a spare bedroom or bonus room. It would be really nice to have it just the way you want it. I like the idea of running the pipe for a future hushbox. I plan on adding one to my setup eventually. The XG sounds like a small jet in my little room.[/quote]

Thanks for the comments! I'm hoping the Barco BG808 is quiet enough to not bother with the hush box. Sometime down to road I'll have some spare time so it's nice to keep that option open.

Steve

PostLink    Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Some progress on my theater Reply with quote

JustGreg wrote:
keldor wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/110986008248794270593/NormanStreetTheater?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKGdpLGn-MX74QE&feat=directlink

Cheers,
Steve

:thumbsup: As gramps used to say, "If it's worth doing it's worth doing right." I get a kick out of watching peoples HT's come together from scratch. Of course the down side to that is...I get to see what I didn't do 'cause I didn't know any better at the time.
Can't wait to see more.

Greg

Thanks for your comments! I can't wait to get more of the project finished! I keep hoping for more snow days so I can get this room operational before the spring.

Steve

Last edited by keldor on Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chuck27

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having engineered joists must be a great asset. No big central beam to box around, no jackposts...looks great! Thumbs Up

I was wondering about putting batting between the joists as you have done, do you find it does a good job of blocking the sound to the floor above when you're watching, say, the first 15 minutes of "Transformers" at an appropriate volume level? My theatre-in-progress is directly under the living room & I was thinking of having a contractor come in and spray-foam the entire underside of the ceiling before I finish it, but that's not going to be inexpensive.

We used to be neighbours. I lived on Seagram Drive in the late 70's as a Mechie at UW. 8)

Chuck

using acreage for sound insulation since 1999
View user's photo album (17 photos)
keldor

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck27 wrote:
Having engineered joists must be a great asset. No big central beam to box around, no jackposts...looks great! :thumbsup:

I was wondering about putting batting between the joists as you have done, do you find it does a good job of blocking the sound to the floor above when you're watching, say, the first 15 minutes of "Transformers" at an appropriate volume level? My theatre-in-progress is directly under the living room & I was thinking of having a contractor come in and spray-foam the entire underside of the ceiling before I finish it, but that's not going to be inexpensive.

We used to be neighbours. I lived on Seagram Drive in the late 70's as a Mechie at UW. 8)

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

As you are probably aware there are all kinds of "solutions" for containing the sound. My theater is underneath a new addition we had done last year. Part of the design criteria was a resonable space for the theater. The house is 60 years old and the basement was only 7'. We were able to make the addition basement 7'6" without having to underpin the existing foundation.

It is desirable to contain the sound but not imperative. All the kids are elsewhere so it is just the two of us. Fortunately the addition above is a dining area/sunroom that is not constantly occupied by my wife. She will mostly be in other areas of the house when it is just me in my man cave. That said, she does not like to hear bass shaking the house!

I can't answer your question because I have never had the sound system fired up in this house in that room. I did what was relatively easy and inexpensive to contain the sound. Two layers of 1/2" drywall with one tube of green glue per sheet on the ceiling. As you noticed I filled the engineered joists spaces with fiberglass insulation. The flooring in the room above is cork that will also help. All four walls of the theater are concrete and the rears and surrounds are going on the brackets you can just make out. The brackets are tap-conned directly to the concrete to isolate them from the single 1/2" drywall walls.

I would guess that spray foam would give a better result than fiberglass as there should be less gaps. I did what I did because I could do it myself.

Small world! I work in IT for Mech at UW. My brother was a Mechie in the early seventies and is still with Mech as well.

Good luck with your theater. Looking forward to hearing what you decide on.

Steve

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
Looks real nice so far! Almost afraid to ask this but what cables do you have pulled to the projector, RGBHV, HDMI ? I see one black one but cant see what it is. Looks like a fun family project also. Doug
keldor

PostLink    Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbaisey wrote:
Steve,
Looks real nice so far! Almost afraid to ask this but what cables do you have pulled to the projector, RGBHV, HDMI ? I see one black one but cant see what it is. Looks like a fun family project also. Doug

Thanks Doug!

The cable you see is a 22 gauge 35' HDMI to DVI cable from Monoprice. I have purchased through this site the HD Fury Barco port 3 version. I purchased a Monoprice HDMI switch box and tested from my set top box and upconverting DVD player. Worked great.

I did put a pull string in... but I used a piece of central vac garage hose for the cable run to the projector. It was something I had on hand. I'm not sure how easy it will be to pull anything else through!

Steve

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keldor wrote:

Small world! I work in IT for Mech at UW. My brother was a Mechie in the early seventies and is still with Mech as well.

Steve

As GSgt Highway said in "Heartbreak Ridge", "Then we've sure as hell chewed some of the same dirt". I went back for my 25th a couple of years ago and all the buildings have different names now so I got lost. But I did demand to know who was going to check my age & student ID in the Poets Pub. Some one younger than my own son was happy to do so.

I'm in a similar situation in that there are only the two of us now, so sound isolation isn't a huge deal for us. I'm thinking of resale value as well as those odd times when one of us is watching TV in the bedroom and the other is in the theatre. It almost seems like the living room floor (hardwood) amplifies whatever is going on downstairs. 3 of the theatre walls are exterior: concrete and more or less below grade. The fourth wall adjoins the furnace room, the laundry room and the entrance to the theatre. I've got a handle on isolating the furnace room, because out here the only choice for heat is oil and oil burners are very noisy so I've done a lot of work on keeping that noise to itself. Ditto for the laundry room but I just haven't done it yet. The remaining issue is the ceiling and I'm going to try to fibreglass batts as you have done. My theatre ceiling will have soffits that contain the bass traps and will probably have a large area finished with acoustic tile that will become a star field so hopefully, it will be some reasonable attenuation. I'm not going for total isolation but the ability to carry on a conversation in the living room while a movie is going on downstairs will be nice.

Thanks, Steve!

Chuck

using acreage for sound insulation since 1999
View user's photo album (17 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater Design & Construction All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: