Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

HTPC PROBLEMS with Blu-Ray play: Blu-Ray/HD DVD and HDFury

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
futrhse

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: HTPC PROBLEMS with Blu-Ray play: Blu-Ray/HD DVD and HDFury Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
HTPC PROBLEMS with Blu-Ray playback: Blu-Ray/HD DVD and HDFury compatibility outputted from HTPC:

Helolo All, Newbie here and I could use a little help. (reposted also on HdFury forum)

I bought green full version of the HD Fury, hooked it up to a JVC DILA G20U PJ to 5BNC input. (Using PS unit on 5-6' cable included HDFury DVI-HDMI cable)

D-ILA PJ is "driven" by an ASUS HTPC with ATI X1900 (HDCP ready) Crossfire Video card and an LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD player/burner.

(HTPC System: Intel Pentium D XE/EE 965 3.73G HZ, 2GB of Crucial PC 8500 memory, LG GGC-H20L Optical DVD player/burner, SW is CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra and Arc Soft "Total Media theatre". Win-XP Pro OS.)

HD Fury device works GREAT under HD DVD at 720P and at 1080i. Don't care about 1080P as the DILA was never intended to "go there".

Currently... HD Fury simply will not pass Blu-Ray movie disc output, but the Fury does light up. Got Blue LED light. Blu-Ray disc will play into traiers but stops at Movie opening and repeats Movie intro trailer but will not let me enter "play or set-up".

Using a Blu-Ray disc Bruce Willis: "Live Free or Die Hard"

On Blu-Ray playback:

Have used VGA cable 6'... RESULT: no picture

Have used DVI to DVI output 6' cable from ATI Radeon X1900 output (driver rev level is 8.1 Newest Catalyst suite revision)... RESULT: no Picture

Have used DVI to HDMI cable on HTPC ATI card (came with HDFury green unit) ... RESULT: no Picture on Blu-Ray (everything on HTPC works GREAT with HD DVD)

I believe the AACS issues under HDCP are stopping the BD from picture appearing, I have heard BD has some sort of extended DRM ID that is superimposed on the output of Blu-Ray content more so than HD DVD has to contend with.

Questions:

Is the HD Fury compatible with BD (Blu-Ray) delivered from a HTPC? or is it lacking a robust HDCP/AACS/DRM ID ability to deliver Blu-Ray output from HTPC? CyberLink (PowerDVD ultra says X1900 ATI card IS HDCP compliant and ATI says X1900 IS HDCP ready, so I think Video Card is HDCP compatible, LG seems to work great.

Am I screwed? The HDFury green unit is less than 1.5 weeks old and I sure wish it would pass through the Blu-Ray signal as well as it does on HD DVD.

Could use a little assistance and input, GREAT FORUM!!!

Any thoughts, please advise.
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st thing if you have a plain old CRT computer monitor connect your HTPC with and without the HD-Fury. See if you get your blurays to play, 99% of all computer CRT monitors can resolve 1080i with no problem.

Your projector should play with VGA anyway without the HD-Fury. HDCP only blocks digital outputs to displays that are not HDCP compliant, RGBHV should is fine. I run my projector with direct analog RGBHV with no conversion to digtial and have not had a HDCP issue with Bluray. You might try it direct just for fun.

I assume your using an LG drive with PowerDVD if so what version of PDVD and what OS? It should not make a difference at this point but saves time incase the problem gets more obscure.

It could be a timing issue with the HD-Fury and your projector thats way we need to take it out of the circuit. What vertical refresh rate do you have set on the HTPC? Have you updated the video drivers from ATI?

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using LG with with PowerDVD Ultra rev level 3730. (newest as of 2-8-08) Would not play Blu-Ray and got error message on both Blu-Ray and HD DVD that Dicital display was not HDCP ready, both PJ and CRT. Have tried using both 60hz & 72 Hz settings neither work. (all without HDFury) Using Win XP pro 32 OS. Video driver is 8.1 (newest catalyst as of 2-1-08) Gave up on Power dvd and went to Arcsoft Theatre and finally got HD DVD to play on ArcSoft but still no Blu-Ray.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Still no Blu-Ray only HD DVD

futrhse
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

futrhse wrote:
Using LG with with PowerDVD Ultra rev level 3730. (newest as of 2-8-08) Would not play Blu-Ray and got error message on both Blu-Ray and HD DVD that Dicital display was not HDCP ready, both PJ and CRT. Have tried using both 60hz & 72 Hz settings neither work. (all without HDFury) Using Win XP pro 32 OS. Video driver is 8.1 (newest catalyst as of 2-1-08) Gave up on Power dvd and went to Arcsoft Theatre and finally got HD DVD to play on ArcSoft but still no Blu-Ray.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Still no Blu-Ray only HD DVD

futrhse

Have you tried HD-Advisor? Does it report the video card is compliant? Its not fool proof but in might give a clue what is wrong. My guess is going to be some quirk with the card, but that is only a guess. Looking at the ATI's specs for the X1900 are wierd. I copied and pasted the footnote from the ATI site.

* AMD’s ATI Radeon™ X and Radeon™ 9550 series of GPUs are capable of processing HDCP signals ("HDCP ready"), however not all ATI Radeon graphics cards are HDCP ready. Please check the applicable ATI Radeon graphics card specification to determine if a particular ATI Radeon graphics card is HDCP ready. Some third parties manufacture graphics cards containing ATI Radeon GPUs -- you can inquire of them which models, if any, are HDCP ready. In addition, playing HDCP content requires additional HDCP ready components, including but not limited to an HDCP ready monitor, disc drive, multimedia application and computer operating system.

The complete specs are at the link below:

http://ati.amd.com/products/RadeonX1900/specs.html

That is a costly card, I don't blame you for wanting to keep it, I switched from NVidia to first an MSI/ATI HD-2600Pro then a Asus/ATI HD-3850 and had no HDCP issues. I also run Vista so we really are not comparing Apples to Apples.

Perhaps some of the guys running XP can chime in.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BD-HD Advisor states on their site the RADEON (X serties all the ay back to the X1650 are acceptable and HDCP ready) ATI X1900 XTX and X1900 crossfire edition cards are HDCP "ready"/compliant, and like your list here I got the same "cursory nod of approval"(same data) from ATI tech support 2 mo's back and BD-HD Advisor (as of last week end) does give the cards the "green light". Just the monitor never makes the cut EVEN with the HDFury IN CIRCUIT!!!

Yeah about $1200 in Crossfire cards is a little painful to switch out, and again they play HD DVD fine only Blu-Ray is the problem.

I hate HDMI and HDCP.

thanks for the input.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not helping with your problem but this past weekend I noticed that PowerDVD stoped playback even if I unplugged the analog VGA connection to switch the cable over to my projecor. DRM gone nut's. I'm running XP SP2 with an ATi 3850

Just a thought but do you have the power cable for the HD-Fury?

Have you tried Any DVD?

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
futrhse

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the power cable connected to the HDFury and have been since the first install. Don't know much about ANYDVD, but can I use it to just playback DVD's without ripping them to HD??? I just want to play the movies and I don't want to have to store all of them prior to playing the flick, my understanding is that ANYDVD requires the media to be ripped to HD prior to viewing.

Is this correct?

thanks for your assistance re your input.

Regards,

futrhse
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope AnyDVD doesn't require ripping the tittle. It works in real time.

Ceck out their forums for a list of incompatable Bluray disk's though. Even they are having troble with bluray.

http://forum.slysoft.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: