Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Recommendations for a new HTPC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
Well this left me scratching my head the first time around. Seem's 640 x 480 works but when the desktop try's to load I get the monitor's no signal message???? Question

I thought I might have set some odd timming in Powerstrip so I reinstalled windows. Also had an odd problem where the computer would fail to boot and I'd have to reset the BIOS to make it boot again after I had been playing with the connections and resolutions on the ATi card. (HDCP oddity? ATi idiocy? )

Now I had the 2005 Moome DVI card powered up with my previous GForce 8600 card running into this monitor. I also demo'd this with the GeForce 8600 card at another forum members place at 1280 x 720 into his 1272. So I knew the switcher was ok.

I changed the breakout cable twice. No change.

As a last resort I put the DVI card and the HDMI card into my other switcher (also a Sony PC1271) that's hooked up to the Ampro 4000. I did the analog to the G520 and damn:!: It worked! The Ampro displayed everything I threw at from 800x600 all the way up to 1920x1080!? (sorry no screen shot's I don't have the Ampro converged ).

EDIT: there's problems with the digital in on the Moome cards combined with the PC1271 switcher. I actually setup the Ampro 4000 this past weekend to do some proper testing. I'll post more latter.

Later: The problem seem's to be both the Ampro 4000 and the Sony G520P like a 'hoter' signal. I'll grab an extron box for the output of the PC1271 then try driving the PJ and the CRT monitor again.

Later in May: The Extron 202 provided a nice boosted signal to the projector. This made the Moome card usable in the PC1271 switcher with the Ampro.

So what is it that prevents this ATi 3850/Moome DVI/Sony PC1271 from driving the G520P where the Nvidia 8600/Moome DVI/Sony PC1271 could drive it just fine?? Why was the image barely there when hooked up to the G520P and bright and fine on the Ampro?

This was an odd weekend to say the least.

CRT.

HD done right!

Last edited by AnalogRocks on Thu May 22, 2008 6:19 am; edited 5 times in total
View user's photo album (27 photos)
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDID Update maybe? Is your Moome HDMI or DVI? My 3850 has audio on the DVI/HDMI port if you use the adapter that comes with the card, perhaps that is making a difference if you are using it. This kind of stuff makes me crazy when dealing with digital inputs. Thats why I threw in the towel and just went back to analog. I run very short cables to my projector because the HTPC right beside the projector so its no advantage for me to go digital.

Nice work BTW on the screen shots. I though I saw maybe a tad more shadow detail on some of the VGA shots I didn't notice the color difference. The change in width is somewhat if a concern. I don't like the idea of the HD-Fury messing around with the timing.

Mike

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
EDID Update maybe? Is your Moome HDMI or DVI? My 3850 has audio on the DVI/HDMI port if you use the adapter that comes with the card, perhaps that is making a difference if you are using it. This kind of stuff makes me crazy when dealing with digital inputs. Thats why I threw in the towel and just went back to analog. I run very short cables to my projector because the HTPC right beside the projector so its no advantage for me to go digital.

Nice work BTW on the screen shots. I though I saw maybe a tad more shadow detail on some of the VGA shots I didn't notice the color difference. The change in width is somewhat if a concern. I don't like the idea of the HD-Fury messing around with the timing.

Mike

Both cards were tried. Same effect on both. I can't get a picture with the 2005 DVI or the 2007 HDMI card when the switcher is connected to the G520P, but it works fine on the Ampro. What's different there?

CRT.

HD done right!
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
MikeEby wrote:

Mike

Both cards were tried. Same effect on both. I can't get a picture with the 2005 DVI or the 2007 HDMI card when the switcher is connected to the G520P, but it works fine on the Ampro. What's different there?

Ok..I got ca.... That is wierd. Gotta be they are messing with the timings. Does the Ampro report what H-freq and V-freq its receiving? Could be a porch issue and the 21" montor is going out of range, where the Ampro can still sync.

Dude u got card ton of input cards!

Mike

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the way the switcher looks all filled out. I do that to all my PC's too. Fill every slot and every hole. And yes that sounds dirty. Twisted Evil

Laughing

The Ampro does have a frequency counter built in. You can view the incomming frequency on the remote. ( Cool huh? )

You know the one thing I did notice ( and I'll update my previous HD Fury post ) is slightly blown out highlights via the HD-Fury. Have another look at the '300' screen shots. They look like the white is overblown in the sky.

EDIT:
Also notice slightly more detail in the faces and a better color saturation with the HD-Fury.

CRT.

HD done right!

Last edited by AnalogRocks on Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:26 am; edited 2 times in total
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. It's easier to see in a GIF for the A/B comparison.

Look at the wrinkles around his eyes.

HD-Furyvs.VGA.gif
 Description:
Input 1 is HD-Fury,
Input 2 is VGA-Analog
 Filesize:  336.04 KB
 Viewed:  13910 Time(s)

HD-Furyvs.VGA.gif

CRT.

HD done right!
WanMan

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
A couple more:

When I compare Images 5109 to 5110 and look at the stars in the background of the 20th Century Fox logo, why is it that 5110, the VGA output, appears to be sharper? At first I thought it was my imagination, but I am not creative enough to imagine this. The VGA output (image 5110) is sharper to my eyes.

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm time to animate that as a gif and compare?

EDIT: The final GIF was too big to attach. I'll try again later.

CRT.

HD done right!
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
I like the way the switcher looks all filled out. I do that to all my PC's too. Fill every slot and every hole. And yes that sounds dirty. Twisted Evil

Laughing

The Ampro does have a frequency counter built in. You can view the incomming frequency on the remote. ( Cool huh? )

You know the one thing I did notice ( and I'll update my previous HD Fury post ) is slightly blown out highlights via the HD-Fury. Have another look at the '300' screen shots. They look like the white is overblown in the sky.

EDIT:
Also notice slightly more detail in the faces and a better color saturation.

That is cool about the ampro remote.

Great A/B comparison, I think movies like 300 & Jarheads are not really great flixs to judge gama unless you have a reference screen shot. The first HD-DVD I bought was Jarheads, needless to say I never used it for a demo the whole thing has that blown washed out look.

Mike

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's like calibrating your display using the Matrix. I've never seen Jarhead's but I'm guessing from the previews that they did the same sorta look as 'Domino'

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

Laughing

EDIT:
Also notice slightly more detail in the faces and a better color saturation.

That is cool about the ampro remote.

Great A/B comparison, I think movies like 300 & Jarheads are not really great flixs to judge gama unless you have a reference screen shot. The first HD-DVD I bought was Jarheads, needless to say I never used it for a demo the whole thing has that blown washed out look.

Mike

300 may not be a good movie for calibrating but I can clearly see a difference between the two. Also if you look at ice age close up squirl shot, the whites of his eyes seem blown out slightly.

EDIT: deleted duplicated stuff deleted duplicated stuff

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of RMA'ing my LG GGC-H20L drive. Here's the thread on that:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103882

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMA'd the beast after a false start and some RMA number confusion. I ended up hand delivering it to the front desk at LG and getting them to sign for it in my deilvery book Very Happy

I had the replacement 2 day's latter. So far so good, except for the flakey USB connection. Sometime's it just won't play the movie and requires a restart.

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the Ampro running a smooth 1080i on a 72" screen watching for 5 feet away. I watched Chronicle's or Riddick. The movie played all the way through without a hicup, the 2nd time. I had to restart, power down the mechincal switch on the power supply then restart. After that it worked.

Unfurtunatly after the movie I took a two hour break. When I came back and powered up the Ampro the HVPS blew up ( yeah again ).

Old electronic's, what are you going to do?

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little LG drive problem/solution talk. Just FMI

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=138901

CRT.

HD done right!
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhhh oh, here we grow again. Perfectly happy with my ATi 3850 card so far I find out ATi has an AIW version:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~126872,00.html

Quote:
Sunnyvale, Calif. -- June 26, 2008 --AMD (NYSE: AMD) today expanded The Ultimate Visual Experience™ for North America with the ATI All-In-Wonder™ HD, combining award-winning ATI Radeon™ Premium graphics and ATI TV Wonder™ HD tuner technology card in one PCI Express® 2.0 solution. As the newest multimedia powerhouse to join the long line of All-In-Wonder offerings, ATI All-in-Wonder HD transforms the PC into a highly immersive digital video recorder for HDTV1 and analog TV, plus expands the realm of exceptional gaming with cinematic HD graphics for mainstream PCs. Blu-ray™ disc playback can be enjoyed in full HD glory (1080p) thanks to ATI All-in-Wonder HD’s unified video decoder (UVD) technology, ensuring movies play back smoothly and with incredible detail2.

AMD LIVE!™ Ready and Certified for Windows Vista®, ATI All-In-Wonder HD has a manufacturers suggested retail price (MSRP) of $199, includes capabilities to watch and record free-to-air HDTV, unencrypted digital cable programming3, and superb analog TV reception powered by ATI Theater™ 650 Pro hardware MPEG-2 encoding technology. All-In-Wonder HD merges the best of the ATI TV Wonder™ product line with ATI Radeon Premium Graphics to deliver The Ultimate Visual Experience.

“Never before has this level of HDTV and graphics performance been seen in an all-in-one PC multimedia solution,” said Matt Skynner, vice president of marketing, Graphics Products Group, AMD. “The award-winning ATI All-In-Wonder lineage is built on long-standing leadership in TV and video on the PC. For the hundreds of thousands of owners of previous ATI All-In-Wonder models and for those hungry to realize the full potential of their PC, we’re excited and proud to introduce the newest addition to AMD’s PCTV product family.”

ATI All-in-Wonder HD prepares you for brilliant TV, sharp images and smooth playback on a wide variety of HDTVs and displays. With support for Microsoft DirectX® 10.1, gamers can play the top HD games with life-like 3D graphics, stunning realism, and great shading effects. Full support for PCI Express 2.0 technology allows for twice the throughput of current PCI Express 1.0 cards, which means gamers will be ready for demanding graphic applications.

ATI All-in-Wonder HD further expands TV viewing capabilities with support for Windows® Media Center bundled with Windows Vista® Home Premium and Windows Vista® Ultimate editions, as well as Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005. The ATI All-in-Wonder HD complements media-rich AMD LIVE! PCs.

Featured with ATI All-in-Wonder HD is ATI Catalyst Media Center™ software that provides an easy path to view TV programs in a variety of entertainment environments and mobile video devices. Recorded TV programs and home videos can be quickly converted into the most popular formats for viewing video on portable media devices4. Digitize and preserve priceless moments and start building your video library. ATI Catalyst Media Center software includes a scalable TV interface with integrated TV programming info, DVD video authoring and movie playback, and video conversion technologies5. A second bundled AMD LIVE!™ Entertainment Suite CD includes AMD LIVE!™ On Demand to access the DVR from any computer with broadband connectivity and AMD LIVE!™ Explorer that provides an immersive way of managing and interacting with your entertainment library. Explore your complete digital collections of music, photos, and videos in a single window, in full 3D6.

With Home Theater environments in mind, ATI All-in-Wonder HD provides expanded connectivity with built-in support for six channel (5.1) Dolby Digital® surround audio transmission through HDMI, native dual-link DVI-I for high resolution panels, and optional component video connectivity.

Available through Diamond Multimedia and VisionTek at leading computer retailers and etailers across North America by late July, ATI All-In-Wonder HD is designed to take home theater PCs to the next level of multimedia performance.

About AMD
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is a leading global provider of innovative processing solutions in the computing, graphics and consumer electronics markets. AMD is dedicated to driving open innovation, choice and industry growth by delivering superior customer-centric solutions that empower consumers and businesses worldwide. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.

I think I need one!

CRT.

HD done right!
Angus_rg

PostLink    Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Uhhh oh, here we grow again. Perfectly happy with my ATi 3850 card so far I find out ATi has an AIW version:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~126872,00.html

[/i]

I think I need one!

Think? I've been drooling over this thing for weeks. The wife is out of town, best buy is down the street. You're a bad influence on me.

Sad thing is, grab a BB 10% off coupon, and it's on par with most of cheaper places I've seen on the web. Of course is someone finds a better place, please let my cheap a$$ know.

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I called my computer guy. He's getting me a price tomorow. I'll also have to score the optional ( though should be included ) Component/svideo/video cable. I like to be able to hook it up to most anything.

CRT.

HD done right!
Angus_rg

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnalogRocks wrote:
Yeah I called my computer guy. He's getting me a price tomorow. I'll also have to score the optional ( though should be included ) Component/svideo/video cable. I like to be able to hook it up to most anything.

I got one yesterday. I'm putting together a multimedia network and have 3 computers I keep flip flopping on as to what hardware goes where. I'm hoping the QAM function works with MythTV; otherwise, it has to go in Vista with the BR player. If it goes in Vista, I'm sure I can write it to a network drive and have Myth see it.

I'm a little new to MythTV, but I'll tell you, it is SWEET.

Forum Moderator

PostLink    Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angus_rg wrote:
AnalogRocks wrote:

I got one yesterday. I'm putting together a multimedia network and have 3 computers I keep flip flopping on as to what hardware goes where. I'm hoping the QAM function works with MythTV; otherwise, it has to go in Vista with the BR player. If it goes in Vista, I'm sure I can write it to a network drive and have Myth see it.

I'm a little new to MythTV, but I'll tell you, it is SWEET.

Which model did you get exactly? Diamond, HIS? etc...

CRT.

HD done right!
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 13 of 17
Jump to: