Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Powerdvd 3516
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuttall_chris

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register to remove this ad. It's free!
There is a new piece of software coming out soon that may rid us of PowerDVD, see http://www.arcsoft.com/products/totalmediaextreme/

I downloaded a demo version from there Japanese site that seem to play back everything I hit it with both on disk and ripped to hard drive.

Here is the link to the Japanese demo download http://www.junglejapan.com/download/pub/trial/TotalMediaExtremeTrial.exe

Here is a link to there english site http://www.arcsoft.com/products/totalmediaextreme/

Chris.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
lyd

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuttall_chris wrote:
There is a new piece of software coming out soon that may rid us of PowerDVD, see http://www.arcsoft.com/products/totalmediaextreme/
I downloaded a demo version from there Japanese site that seem to play back everything I hit it with both on disk and ripped to hard drive.

I've had my eye on it. Price on that one keeps going up, $160 now, but I have heard nothing but good things about it. There was a cheaper version being talked about for a while that did HD and BD but without the authoring stuff, which would be ideal for me, but it seems to have gone away.

lyd

EDIT: Whoops, no it is still there. "TotalMedia Theatre" (non-extreme) $89.99. W00t, sign me up! I hope they release it soon.
AnalogRocks
Forum Moderator

TV/Projector: Sony 1252Q, AMPRO 4000G

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good. Can't wait to see the reviews

CRT.

HD done right!
View user's photo album (27 photos)
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lyd wrote:

Are you sure that the app actually updated anything? I remember that app running after install and connecting to the 'net, but it said it didn't find new firmware.

I can't seem to find the damn thing to run it manually though. Any idea what it's called or where it lives?

lyd

Sorry I forgot to look at this. The firmware updater installs program in "C:\Program Files\lg_fwupdate\fwupdate.exe"

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuttall_chris wrote:

Here is the link to the Japanese demo download http://www.junglejapan.com/download/pub/trial/TotalMediaExtremeTrial.exe

Here is a link to there english site http://www.arcsoft.com/products/totalmediaextreme/

Chris.

How did you figure out what to click and what to check or uncheck at install and after to actually USE it ? ?

Do you know how to speak Japanese ?

Do you think you could post a walk through guide kind of thing so I could try it on my system ? I'd love to get rid of the curse of PowerDVD...
nuttall_chris

PostLink    Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine Benes wrote:
nuttall_chris wrote:

Chris.

How did you figure out what to click and what to check or uncheck at install and after to actually USE it ? ?

Do you know how to speak Japanese ?

Do you think you could post a walk through guide kind of thing so I could try it on my system ? I'd love to get rid of the curse of PowerDVD...

I don't speak a word of Japanese. I would have to double check, but when I installed the program I just clicked the default "highlighted" button each time a prompt came up. Using the Japanese program was not that difficult to use as the default settings seemed to work perfectly. The layout of the controls is very similar to Powerdvd and with a little bit of experimentation I was able to sort out most of the controls.

Chris.
View user's photo album (2 photos)
lyd

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
lyd wrote:

Are you sure that the app actually updated anything? I remember that app running after install and connecting to the 'net, but it said it didn't find new firmware.

I can't seem to find the damn thing to run it manually though. Any idea what it's called or where it lives?

lyd

Sorry I forgot to look at this. The firmware updater installs program in "C:\Program Files\lg_fwupdate\fwupdate.exe"

Mike

Weird, I just went looking for this, and it isn't there. No lg_fwupdate dir at all. I am certain I installed it... *shrug*

Anyone know of another source for it? I have no idea where my original CD is at this point, and the LG site is painful. For that matter, has anyone updated the firmware yet? I was hoping it might fix the problem I am having with Fantastic Four: Silver Surfer.

lyd

EDIT: I found the CD and installed the updater. Fingers crossed but not terribly optimistic.

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lyd wrote:
MikeEby wrote:
lyd wrote:

lyd

Mike

Weird, I just went looking for this, and it isn't there. No lg_fwupdate dir at all. I am certain I installed it... *shrug*

Anyone know of another source for it? I have no idea where my original CD is at this point, and the LG site is painful. For that matter, has anyone updated the firmware yet? I was hoping it might fix the problem I am having with Fantastic Four: Silver Surfer.

lyd

EDIT: I found the CD and installed the updater. Fingers crossed but not terribly optimistic.

Your right their website does stink but here is a link to download it direct. It took a litte digging to find it.

http://us.lgservice.com/index_b2c.jsp

Edit: This link uses Java script can't book mark it, you must select "Device Drivers" then select "DVD ROM (Writer)" from the "Product" drop down, leave "All" selected for the OS then press search. It will return firmware updates for a bunch of drives. MAKE SURE TO DOWNLOAD THE ONE FOR "GGC-H20L"! using the incorrect firmware could break the drive.

I think the software to updater is goofy. It doesn't look at the firmware in the drive (not really sure it could) I reloaded my HTPC and it updated again. So it only keeps track of what version it has based on what was already updated on that computer.

What problem are you having with Fantastic Four: Silver Surfer? I finally got 3:10 to Yuma to work with the 1/31/08 update of PowerDVD, watched it last night...Good flick!

Picked up Elizabeth on HD-DVD today. It's so cool not to care about what format you are buying.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had any trouble playing ISO mounted drives with 3516.

But, that said, I've pulled out my original HD-DVD discs and remuxed them all to a .mkv container, and converted the audio losslessly to FLAC. And I play them back with Zoom Player (or MPC if you like). It just works, and you get GAMMA.

The only movies I haven't figured out how to do are seamless branching ones. I also haven't figured out subtitles, but that hasn't been a problem yet (it can be done).

It's a two step process to remux HD-DVD's (3 if you want chapters).

1 - Demux/convert to mkv/reencode audio using eac3to.exe (version 2.20) - a simple command line, something like:

eac3to.exe J:\HVDVD_TS\FEATURE_1.evo+J:\HVDVD_TS\FEATURE_2.evo 2: video.mkv 5: audio.flac

2 - Grab the chapter text file using EVODemux.

3 - Then remux the two files (and chapter text file) into a single mkv file using MkvMerge, which is part of the MKVToolnix package.

It takes about 10 mins to setup Zoom Player to play them back correctly, using the Ffdshow Audio and Video decoders - I made a post on AVS...page 2 or 3 here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=885764

This is interesting too, the last few pages:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=892527

It really isn't hard. And the movies just play, with Gamma, easy remote control, chapters, lossless audio, and untouched video. They are 2/3rds the size of the ISO file too.

I haven't done Bluray discs yet, I don't have a drive.

Why frig around with Powerdvd? It sucks big ones..
lyd

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEby wrote:
What problem are you having with Fantastic Four: Silver Surfer?

I started a thread about it in the media forum.

Basically, I can browse the disk in explorer no problem, but anydvd fails with a read error half way through, and powerdvd gives an unsupported format error as soon as I insert it.

lyd

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lyd wrote:
nuttall_chris wrote:

I've had my eye on it. Price on that one keeps going up, $160 now, but I have heard nothing but good things about it. There was a cheaper version being talked about for a while that did HD and BD but without the authoring stuff, which would be ideal for me, but it seems to have gone away.

lyd

EDIT: Whoops, no it is still there. "TotalMedia Theatre" (non-extreme) $89.99. W00t, sign me up! I hope they release it soon.

I just checked that out, and it seems to be already released. As far as I can tell, you can purchase it now. Am I missing something?
lyd

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Smith wrote:
lyd wrote:
nuttall_chris wrote:

lyd

I just checked that out, and it seems to be already released. As far as I can tell, you can purchase it now. Am I missing something?

Just the date on the post you quoted. Wink

Yeah, it is out and available now.

lyd

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyd,

I read a *little* about it on AVS. From what I read, I get the impression no one is too thrilled about it. If it will do a good job of playing ripped movies, I would think people would be excited about it.

PS: Is ripping Blu-ray still a problem?
lyd

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Smith wrote:
Lyd,

I read a *little* about it on AVS. From what I read, I get the impression no one is too thrilled about it. If it will do a good job of playing ripped movies, I would think people would be excited about it.

Yeah, I had a couple of problems with the trial, so I am holding off on a purchase until I hear about some updates.

Quote:

Aside from that Fantastic 4 disk I have been talking about, I've been able to rip everything I've tried with anydvd.

lyd

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lyd wrote:
Phil Smith wrote:
Lyd,

Yeah, I had a couple of problems with the trial, so I am holding off on a purchase until I hear about some updates.

Quote:

Aside from that Fantastic 4 disk I have been talking about, I've been able to rip everything I've tried with anydvd.

lyd

Arcsoft seemed to be good for HD-DVD but Bluray Thumbs Down 2 of the eight disks I tried didn't play. Not worth spending $90 of my cash on. Maybe someday. Im not impressed with the speed of their updates. At least with PDVD it only took a couple of weeks to get to Yuma. Smile

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a whole slew of blu-ray disks with it, no problems at all with that.

The trouble I had was related to audio and one hd-dvd title where the menu did not work.

lyd

PostLink    Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lyd wrote:
I played a whole slew of blu-ray disks with it, no problems at all with that.

The trouble I had was related to audio and one hd-dvd title where the menu did not work.

lyd

The trailers would play fine on 3:10 To Yuma and Ratatouille with Arcsoft the problems is in the menus like you said, in my case the problems with Yuma was it would not allow you to select "Play". Making it very hard to watch the movie. Smile Ratatoulle would allow you to select play in the menu, and then nothing would happen. With PDVD Ratatoulle worked fine with but Yuma did the same thing until the 1/31/08 fix now it works fine.

I just don't know if Arcsoft is really into it, if I ran a company intending to break into that market I would have a fix out within days or worst case a few weeks. Perhaps they are using someone else’s codex and the problem is there, but there is no excuse for not fixing a problem those kinds of implications if you want to sell product I was somewhat impressed with Cyberlink’s response to the Yuma problem.

I still run SPDIF out of my HTPC, because my crummy audio equipment does not have 5 channel analog audio in. So one quirk with Yuma I found was it defaulted to “Lossless Audio” Not DD so it wasn’t passing DD through the SPDIF. Once I changed it in the menus DD worked fine.

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lyd wrote:
Phil Smith wrote:

lyd

Good to hear that!

I'm thinking about adding a combo drive to my HTPC and setting up for ripping and playing HD. I've been waiting for all the bugs to get ironed out, and it seems everything is getting close to that point. The only thing is, I rip rented DVDs to time shift them. Once I've watched a movie, I usually delete it. So if it's a big hassle and time consuming to rip a Blu-ray DVD, it's really not worth the trouble.

So what I'm asking is: How much trouble is it to rip a Blu-ray DVD with AnyDVD?
MikeEby

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Smith wrote:
lyd wrote:
Phil Smith wrote:

lyd

Good to hear that!

I'm thinking about adding a combo drive to my HTPC and setting up for ripping and playing HD. I've been waiting for all the bugs to get ironed out, and it seems everything is getting close to that point. The only thing is, I rip rented DVDs to time shift them. Once I've watched a movie, I usually delete it. So if it's a big hassle and time consuming to rip a Blu-ray DVD, it's really not worth the trouble.

So what I'm asking is: How much trouble is it to rip a Blu-ray DVD with AnyDVD?

I too would like to understand the whole process. I am considering canceling my Showtime/HBO service in favor of NetFlix. They are really not comparable service but its a budgetary issue. If its easy as throwing the disk in the drive and a couple of clicks I could deal with that, however if it involves a bunch of messing around, I'll pass. That would be too much like work Smile

Mike

PostLink    Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part, you just right click on the anydvd icon in the tray and choose the option to rip.

There is a thread on the slysoft forum of titles that can't be successfully ripped that way with the latest version.

lyd

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly view    CurtPalme.com Forum Index -> Home Theater PCs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: