Return to the CurtPalme.com main site CurtPalme.com Home Theater Forum
A forum with a sense of fun and community for Home Theater enthusiasts!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Photo AlbumsPhoto Albums  RegisterRegister 
 MembershipClub Membership   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 
Blu-ray disc release list and must-have titles. Buy the latest and best Blu-ray titles to show off in your home theater!

Fiberglass Bass trap (column construction)
Fiberglass Bass trap (column construction)
Title: Fiberglass Bass trap (column construction)
Description: The columns are acoustical base traps. I tried to position them at acoustical reflection points but overall ascetics dictated some of the locations. You can buy these online for several thousand dollars (I think it would have cost about $6,000 for the columns in this theater (4x12" and 2x18"). The other problem with the ones you can purchase online is the design. For shipping reasons the longest length you can get is 3'. The mnfgr shows them simply stacked up. To me they looked like crap...like a stack of bowling pins. So, I made my own. The key is to make sure each section is liberally glued shut like a drum. Resonant frequencies go in and can't get out. The energy of the audio goes in, resonates, and dissipates. At least that's the theory I read!

I have lost the datasheet for the insulation. The actual thickness varies from about 1 1/2" to about 2". You can buy it at some insulation supply places. Knauf is the name brand I believe.

Overall acoustical treatment comments: Each of the various treatments will resonate at a certain frequency depending upon
the width of the cavity or thickness of the material. So, in your plans try to install a variety of materials, and thicknesses...within the limits of good looks of course.

Note: the fiberglass insulation brand is Knauf with one "f".
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:13 am
Views: 364
Comments: 0
« Previous  -  Next »

Get the absolute best picture out of your TV/projector!
Products for Sale ] [ FAQ: Hooking it all up ] [ CRT Primer/FAQ ] [ Best/Worst CRT Projectors List ] [ Setup Tips & Manuals ] [ Advanced Procedures ] [ Newsletters ]

Forum powered by phpBB © phpBB Group